Fly Fusion Forums

Stream Watch 2009 Online Auction

adc

In 2008 Alberta Stream Watch was expanded to include a Stream Watch Officer in the foothils of S.W. Alberta. (for those of you unfamiliar with Stream Watch please visit: http://www.albertastreamwatch.com/index.html) Many of you who fished the Oldman/Livingstone area last summer may have had a chance to meet Officer Jeff Cox who initiated numerous angler interactions and made a significant impact on awareness of stewardship and angling regulations in the area. You may have also noted the new signage in the area.

It's now time again to start our donations drive for Stream Watch 2009. Costs have gone up and we need to raise roughly $40,000 for each Stream Watch Officer on patrol in 2009. Stream Watch relies on donations from corporations and individuals to fund it's efforts. As many of you know, a good part of the success in our fundraising last year was the result of the FFC Online Auction, thanks to the generosity of donors and bidders alike. Again for 2009, Greg (Toolman) has agreed to coordinate the Auction, collecting donations and compiling bids and our objective this year is to SURPASS last year's total of almost $10,000!!

Toolman will be making a Post on this Board soon to get the ball rolling and he will be contacting donors and bidders from last year to enlist your help once again. You might also chat with him at the FF Show at Spruce Meadows next weekend.

I know Stream Watch can count on your continuing support through the Auction and also, please consider supporting Stream Watch through an individual or corporate donation. Also, if you know of potential corporate or individual donors that we should contact, please let me know and I'll make sure that happens. Thank you.

Al....

Is there going to be a booth at the show? I would just as soon donate some cash......Kerry

Kerry...

Sorry, there won't be a booth at the show...........Stream Watch is asking anglers to make a minimum 3 year committment to donate $100/year.......If you want to donate cash, you can phone Kimberly Davidson at T.U.C. (1-800-909-6040)--T.U.C. handles the funds for us--and tell her you want to make a donation to Southern Alberta Stream Watch..........They will issue a tax receipt for the full amount...........Thanks....

Al....

They will issue a tax receipt for the full amount

Kerry

I wouldn't hold your breathe for that to happen!!! That being said streamwatch is great cause and it worked very well last year. Al and others have put in many hours of work to make it sucessful and all donations are greatly appreciated.

Blair

Kerry

I wouldn't hold your breathe for that to happen!!! That being said streamwatch is great cause and it worked very well last year. Al and others have put in many hours of work to make it sucessful and all donations are greatly appreciated.

Blair

Blair, if you have made a cash donation and haven't yet received a tax receipt you should call Kimberly.....T.U.C. handles the donations and issuing the receipts is part of their mandate.......

STREAMWATCH AUCTION...

A big thank you to Al, Clive and all of the fine folks who have donated their time and efforts to get the StreamWatch Program started on the Oldman watershed. As angling pressure grows each year on these beautifull, but sensitive streams and rivers, the need for more protection through education and enforcement, has never been greater.

We will be kicking off this years on-line Auction at the begining of Febuary, with the goal of surpassing last years totals. As Al has mentioned, we will be seeking donations of items and services that we can put on the Auction block and expect that last years donors/sponsors will once again step up and contribute generously. We also hope that new donors/sponsors will come forward as well, as the support of the entire angling community is needed.

Yes, this means you...

Greg

So if I want to commit to 3 years do I go to the same person? $100/yr? I probably lose that much change in the wash every year, seems reasonable to me for what it gives back. What I don't understand is why, with the number of anglers that frequent the watershed in question, is it such a stretch to find enough people to donate to the fund. I live in the northern half of Alberta, but in order for there to be fish and habitat for me to come and enjoy a couple of times a year $100 seems like a small sacrifice. Anyway I will phone next week and send a cheque.

So if I want to commit to 3 years do I go to the same person? $100/yr? I probably lose that much change in the wash every year, seems reasonable to me for what it gives back. What I don't understand is why, with the number of anglers that frequent the watershed in question, is it such a stretch to find enough people to donate to the fund. I live in the northern half of Alberta, but in order for there to be fish and habitat for me to come and enjoy a couple of times a year $100 seems like a small sacrifice. Anyway I will phone next week and send a cheque.

Thanks so much and I love your logic!!..........Cheques can be sent to me: Allan Caldwell, 137 Coachwood Point, Lethbridge, T1K 6A6 and I will forward them to TU or you can call Kimberly at the TU office (1-800-909-6040) and tell her you want to make a donation to Stream Watch.......Thanks so much and I hope many others will follow your lead!!

Al...

I wish to clarify something that some may find confusing about tax receipts.

1) If someone donated something tangible with an established value (say a rod) the donor was eligible for a receipt for the value of the donations. I understand that donating a trip is more difficult and you should check with TUC. Maybe Al knows about regs regarding donated trips and tax receipts. I received numerous receipts when I submitted invoices to TUC. Receipts were issued promptly.

2) A person who buys something even if they pay a high dollar cannot get a tax receipt. So if you bought a picture for $200, you made a great donation but since you rec'd something for the money then no receipt is issued. I suspect this is not understood well. Maybe not. If you get something it is not a donation for tax purposes ... at least for an individual. Companies have some ability to write off expenses.

As noted, I took it upon myself to issue invoices to TUC for my donations. Here is what was sent to TUC. Receipts were promptly issued.

Date: April 7, 2008

To: Trout Unlimited Canada

For the purpose of issuing a tax receipt, this is an invoice for the value of the four framed photographs donated to Stream Watch for the 2008 program.

Description

Four (4) framed 11 by 14-inch photographic prints of a sharptail grouse and Burmis tree including printing costs, framing and artistic value.

Total $XXX.00

Sincerely,

Clive Schaupmeyer

Badger.. thanks for that clarification. Good stuff. Key points:

1) A person can't get a tax receipt for a trip donated

2) A donor can get a receipt for goods donated

3) If you pay fair market value for goods or services then you can't get a receipt. If you pay an inflated price you may be eligible for a tax receipt for the difference between fair value and amount paid. This one is tricky.

Dave .. Allan is working on that and will comment.

I know were not a direct sponsor but i'd sure like to see a link up of www.flyfishcalgary.com on the streamwatch website.

Is that possible?

Dave,

Sorry for not responding to your PM but I was getting clarification on your request...........Yes, it is possible and our web-guy will be instructed to do that along with posting the 2008 Annual Report on the SW website.......May be a few weeks away but will happen........

Cheers.....

Al......

Thanks for the discussion and clarification on tax receipts......Cash donations ALWAYS get a tax receipt :).....I think there was some misunderstanding last year on the auction where folks thought that if they made a donation they would automatically get a tax receipt..........UNLESS THERE WAS AN INVOICE SUBMITTED THERE IS NO RECEIPT ISSUED.....Hopefully all the good info. provided by Clive and Badger will clarify for this year.......

Al....