Fly Fusion Forums

Your Biggest Owie

Poor Rick....we took his misfortune and really did a threadjack number on him. So.....how's about we all share our biggest ouchy - has to be the most painful incident or thing that you've ever experienced.

I'll start: Just off the top of my head, I've had 2 babies, an epidural that went awry in a bad way, a hysterectomy, a fractured arm, wisdom teeth and molar extraction - 5 at once, root canals and carpal tunnel surgery. BUT the worst pain by far out of all of those is the gall bladder attacks that I get once a year or so. It is debilitating, knock me on my ass and pray to God for mercy type pain. I understand it's very similar to passing a kidney stone type pain. I would much prefer any of the others over this type of pain.

Most damage was a complete tear of my ACL.

Most pain, was falling down the stairs with my then 4 month old girlie in my arms. Hard to believe how hard you hit when you don't get a chance to brace for it................wool socks and hardwood stairs don't go together. She got scared, I got fractured ribs.

My bike wreck

lost 3ft of small intestine (but they took appendix at same time)

huge hole open in my stomach

broke leg, wrist, 6 ribs

Major concusion

buggered up my right knee

and when I was a kid (5)I was playing with my Grampsies golf club(1w) and an older kid grabbed it Smashed me in the face with it and ran that was

83 stiches in lip gums and upper pallette (luckily my aunt was a OR nurse and had a Plastic surgeon meet us at hospital, that is why so many stiches) lost the tooth permanently.

Teck

My bike wreck

lost 3ft of small intestine (but they took appendix at same time)

huge hole open in my stomach

broke leg, wrist, 6 ribs

Major concusion

buggered up my right knee

and when I was a kid (5)I was playing with my Grampsies golf club(1w) and an older kid grabbed it Smashed me in the face with it and ran that was

83 stiches in lip gums and upper pallette (luckily my aunt was a OR nurse and had a Plastic surgeon meet us at hospital, that is why so many stiches) lost the tooth permanently.

Teck

Wow!!!! Did little !@#$%^& johnny get what he deserved when his folks found out????

moto jump on a 50cc when i was about 6-7 years old. fell off the back of the bike going up the lip, pulled the throttle on the way off. I landed on my back, bike landed on me, foot peg went into my thigh... 11 stitches deep and 9 wide, another three inches higher and me and Amstrong could have had something in common!

Floor hockey game, tore two inches of calf muscle from my left leg, not an open wound it just tore away from the rest of the muscle and was down near my ankle.

Indoor soccer - broke right wrist in two places, broke right through the joint and the styloid process right off.

Out door soccer game broke right ankle, was told it was a 3rd Degree sprain, I walked on it for five weeks and then got a cast.

Military operations - Right shoulder Rotator cuff tear..had it operated on that friggen hurt.

Military operations - Left knee blown out, had it operated on after running on it for four years, 30 - 50 km a week....

But nothing hurt worse then Cortisone shot in the shoulder for the Rotator Cuff tear. That Big ass needle knocked me right out... Worse pain then all the other injuries put to gather, I walked away from everything else not that shot.

Helped my shoulder my ass....

I now have Osteoarthritis in my Lumbar spine and it hurts like hell every second of the day, Planter Facetious and Pes Planus and that hurts every second of the day.

But I still cringe every time I think of that big ass needle...

Wow

Some f'd up injuries. Its okay to look back on them, but hate for it to happen to anyone.

At 10 I got a deer antler shoved 2-3 inches into my knee (under my knee cap). Stuck in a blizzard so we couldn't go to anywhere for help, but ducktape held it closed for the next few days.

Was playing Indiana jones and didn't quite make a jump later that spring... landed knee first on a cut log and sliced open the underside of my other kneecap.

That summer I was climbing a tree under a friend... falling stick got me in the eye. luckily the scar isn't affecting vision and I got to pretend to be a pirate for a week.

Training in the reserves, got a piece of grenade scrapnel down the back of my flak jacket in Wainright. Cool scar.

Got smoked on the forhead with a hammer at full swing; laid me out, but I don't remember any pain, or much else.

Carring a couch at a beach when a girl jumped onto it from a lifeguard stand. A nail from the bottom drove into my collar bone. That hurt, but I was pretty numb from the booze.

Partial blew an eardrum... but the bleeding stopped and they couldn't do anything.

Most painfull by far:

I had menegitis last fall... 8 attempts at a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) before they got it. No drugs for the first 7. Plus the headache was like nothing I can imagine... pain causing blackouts, vomiting etc. Was a wonderfull month in the hospital. Still get bad headaches on occasion. Always had a damaged brain I guess?

Sheesh.. can't compete with some of those!

Rode motocross bikes growing up from 4 years old to 17.. had a few nasty wrecks, but never really broke any major bones. Broke some bones in my foot one time after a boch'd jump.. I was at home on the couch crying in pain until my dad got home. His response "if it still hurts tomorrow we'll take you to the hospital." (The men in my family are STUPID when it comes to that stuff.. too much ego. "Ya don't go to the hospital unless your guts are hanging out" kind of mentality) Well, it still hurt that bad the next day. Went to the hospital for X-Ray's... "nope, nothing broken, just bone bruises". 3-4 weeks later get a phone call.. "yeah, you better come back in, we think we found something". 3 of the bones in my foot were broken, and one fractured. I could see it on the X-Ray plain as day! Don't know what the first doctor was smokin.. Dad was pretty choked! By that time I was walking fine, so they just let it go.

Another time I was doing doughnuts and the back tire got grip suddenly.. bike jumped out from underneath me, the momentum flipped me around in the air and I landed right on the end of the handlebars with the small of my back. It hurt so bad I thought for sure the handlebar went INTO my back.. thankfully (Teck.. I can't even imagine!!) it didn't.

Another time I was riding with my buddy and went around a turn and decided to stop to ask where he wanted to go next. Well he came flying around the corner wide open and didn't have time to react.. smacked right into the back of me.. he went flying over the bars and landed like 20 feet up the road.. his bike went about 10 feet straight up in the air.. my bike flew out from underneath me and into the ditch. I was lucky enough to stay right where I was.. perfect position for his bike to come back from 10 feet in the air and land straight on top of me! I was only like 6 years old or something so i'm sure my numbers are a little exaggerated. Nonetheless, I wasn't strong enough to get out from under his bike.. his bike was still running and the back tire was directly above my head so everytime I tried to lift up my head to yell to him to come help me i'd get the my head shook violently as the knobs or spokes or something rubbed against the back of my helmet. After shaking the fog out of his head he finally came back and lifted the bike off me.. shortly thereafter I got an earful about stopping in the middle of the trail after a turn!

Then one time I jumped off the end of a huge gravel pile.. I used to do it all the time.. would just land halfway down the slope and keep going. Well this time I didn't look and the front-end loaders had dug it out so it was almost vertical. Landed with quite the thud at the bottom.. about ~25 feet down! Surprisingly.. nothing broken on the bike or me!

I always wore full protective gear.. so I'm sure that saved me a bunch of times!

Slipping down the laundry shute that time.. that one hurt.

More recently.. running into that bike rack with my nose! Didn't feel good at all. To make myself feel tougher I tell people "I got hit in the face with a Land Rover." (hey.. the Land Rover was attached to the bike rack! :P )

Waking up after my septoplasty.. that was pretty painful! Only until the drugs kicked in though.. so not so bad.

My pituitary surgery actually didn't hurt that much after I woke up.. I think the nose surgery was actually worse.

*edit* All 4 wisdom teeth at once was a gooder too!

When I upgraded it cost just under a million bucks, and I have a few other limitation I need to adhear to. No booze, no sushi, no kitty litter. :P

WOW.... that almost makes me want to stop abusing my liver.... Almost.

Glad It turned out for ya,

wow dudes, I thought hitting a truck doing 85k on my pedal bike was bad you all got me beat. I just brok ever bone in my face and every rib..... seems easy compared to what you dudes & dudette have done.

Most painful was removal of a tumour from my left arm, ligaments, muscle and bone all replaced with cooler, more exotic materials that always make airline metal detectors go off.

Hit by drunk driver (head on crash combined speed of 210 kmph) resulted in:

Broken neck (4 bolts drilled into skull for 3 months of immobilized traction)

9 knee operations (including an intentional fracture which splintered and couldn't be put back together)

4 shoulder operations (rotator cuff)

multiple hardware insertions and removals

But my casting arm is OK!

Still don't think I beat Dave's though.

Wow, I got nothin on you guys.

I had a broken collar bone from a mountain bike wipeout. Didn't know what happened as I rotated my shoulder thinking it was dislocated. Twenty seconds later, I couldn't move it. Made riding out of the ravine difficult.

Then just before I moved to Calgary, I herniated a disc in my lower back that caused sciatica. A wonderful burning sensation that radiates down your leg. Pain is 24/7 and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Had the disc operated on to fix it. Still get lower back spasms and leg pain every now and again. Pain in the ass. Literally.

Nothing compared to some of the stories on here though.

Running along a beach in 2" of water, then "POP", and excruciating pain above the heel...ruptured Achilles tendon. Some guys saw me and carried me up to the beach (while I tried not to puke on them from the pain). It's pretty gross to pinch the skin above your heel and find no tendon there. I didn't want to interupt the family camping trip so I iced it down for the rest of the day and went to bed. About 3am I woke up to some great pain. I waited for the wife and kids to wake up in the morning before heading back to Calgary for some drugs and a cast.

Passing kidney stones a couple of times...you don't want to do it