Fly Fusion Forums

Christmas Haul 2008

Not as many fishing presents this year, as I'm not really sure I needed anything. I did get a new wading jacket from Wright and McGill that seems nice. Big breast pockets, a really big pocket in the back and one in the sleeve. I should be able to stuff in with everything necessary, and many things not necessary.

I also got a book called "The Longest Silence" by Thomas McGuane. I've read part of it so far and while I find him a bit on the "fishing as a means to discover one's soul" style (which I typically don't agree with that much), I'm quite enjoying it. Very, very well written. Here is a quote I particularly liked:

"He had given up ordinary fishing and replaced it with extremely infrequent high-profile trips meant to substitute in intensity what he lacked in time. This in angling is a snare and a delusion. Angling in extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point. That is why in our high-speed world anglers, as a kind of preemptive strike, call themselves buns, addicts, and maniacs. We're actually rather quiet people for the most part but our attitude towards time sets us at odds with our own society."

Or our own wife's! Anyway, I really liked the quote as angling to me is extremely time consuming. And it brought to mind how fortunate I have been in my life in living much of it next to very fishable water. Particularly now.

For you fly tiers, he has an excellent discussion on different types of fly tiers. And a great telling of hooking, and loosing, a big rainbow. I'll discuss that later in a story of the week format. It reminded me of some battles I've had.

Anyway, how did everyone do this season?

The Longest Silence is a great book. I'd put McGuane up there with Haig-Brown as far as high quality fishing authors.

Got a 2wt 8'2" Loop Opti Creek rod and a friend tied me some great looking intruders. Now I can't wait for spring to get the rod out on Stauffer and the intruders into the lips of some west coast steel.

Well my wife who doesn't like me fishing all the time, really surprised me for x-mas. She gave me a weekend pass to fish and some money for a bed and breakfast in southern Alberta. Wow no kids or wife for a weekend.

She came up with a list of places to stay on or near the Crowsnest river with some help from somebody at Fishtales. She had nothing but great things to say about the service she recieved at there.Which are my thoughts too.

Has anyone here used any of the bed and breafast's on or near the Crow river? Just looking for some feed back.

Thanks to all that might reply

dope bull! wich spot are u talking about. one of my outfitters works with a few of them and from what i can say they are all amazing!

got a dope stainglass trout from my cousin! seriously one of teh coolest things ive ever recieved... clothes gift cards n whatnot aswell... for me its all abotu kicking it with my gramma aunts cousing and otehr relatives!!!! dont really give a f*ck abotu present its family that counts! got too sepnd a ton of itm with my 20month old nefu and he is sooooooo dope!!!!! hope everyones christmas went well!!

Guest Sundancefisher

Hmmm.

I got the Wii Fit.

Says I am fat and 8 years older than I should be. Is she telling me something? :whipped:

I can't complain. She let me go fishing to Belize for a week and to the Queen Charlottes for two 5 day trips. :fishfish: Not happening in 2009 however.

I think I will go test out some newly tied flies on some perch in the afternoon tomorrow! I may pick up an ice fishing tent however. ::ice fish::

Merry Xmas everyone!

Sun

Well my wife who doesn't like me fishing all the time, really surprised me for x-mas. She gave me a weekend pass to fish and some money for a bed and breakfast in southern Alberta. Wow no kids or wife for a weekend.

She came up with a list of places to stay on or near the Crowsnest river with some help from somebody at Fishtales. She had nothing but great things to say about the service she recieved at there.Which are my thoughts too.

Has anyone here used any of the bed and breafast's on or near the Crow river? Just looking for some feed back.

Thanks to all that might reply

Take a look at Eckharts Tecumesh Mountain Guest Ranch/Resort... http://mountainguestranch.com/

This is a great place and the owner is a serious flyfisher/guide as well. He also generously supports/contributes to the Oldman Streamwatch Program.

Good luck.

Hey maxwell,

Heres the list of places Angelrs Ridge, Nestle Inn and Bedside Manor.

I have never fished the Crow so pretty stoked until i look outside and I'm reminded it's winter.

Thanks again

Check out Bermis Bed and Bales, they were good to my wife and I when we went winter fly fishing on the Crow and got snowed in for two extra days..

Camera (850), Chris Mann Hairwings and steelhead, Fly line, boxes, tying gear......etc.

Can't wait to start some of those patterns in the book...................not until new years thou.........I promised.

I was hoping for that book as well, I have his hairwing book from a few years ago and use it almost daily for reference.

I got a set of christmas lights that are a stringer of trout LOL

other than that nothjin fishing related (what can ya get for someone who has it all?)

Got ourselves a Wii under the tree though... My kids are whippin my azz...

spent christmas eve in a hospital bed... that sucked..

naw I'm ok now - sorry for the hijack here...

what happened is on the 24th I woke up extremely sore and had "issues" with going to the little boys room becuase of my back, so in the morning I spent 3 hours in the urgent care room in okotoks. they gave me some new medications but I had a bad reaction to them and ended up in the emergency room that evening..(thought I was having a heart attack turned out to be extreme heartburn they said I was burning up on the insides and actually froze my stomach and throat) Got back home about midnite. all is fine now...

anyways... back to the thread..

Camera (850), Chris Mann Hairwings and steelhead, Fly line, boxes, tying gear......etc.

Can't wait to start some of those patterns in the book...................not until new years thou.........I promised.

Can't wait to see some wicked underwater shots with that new camera, Barnes; mudtrout, salmon, conners, Atlantic sculpins...

Didn't get much for christmas but sure did work a crap load, I think I clocked in like 30+ hours in 3 days, however I did like many people here purchase a Olympus Stylus 850SW a week ago as a christmas present for myself as I do take a crap load of photo's for all my buddies, now its time to get some under water shots, yeeee haaaaaw.