Fly Fusion Forums

New Humblefisherman Vid

It was mid summer when we decided to make a trip into the quadra falls.

I had forgotten my walking stick while taking a few flower pics and was confronted on the trail on my way back. This beautiful nasty little creature met me midway and blocked my way on the trail, (showed me some teeth). After yelling at him a few times and swinging my stick i had to let out a "Rick Flair" to get him to back off. As he took off around the corner he stepped right on Camera man Cory's foot. Lucky for us Cory was filming Troy at the time at we got a bit of footage as he ran away. I was stunned at the speed of the thing. Thought at first it might be a marmot because of the color but it was very different than any marmot i had ever seen, much bigger, larger tail, had a mask, and the way it was acting. We are leaning towards a small wolverine. Amazing experience to say the least. We continued on to explore the falls and catch a few unique cutts.

Any opinions as to what it was???

On a side note: It wasn't working in High quality mode for some reason, you may have to watch it in normal mode till i can get things figured out

Many more to come, hope you enjoy.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome humble

Totally enjoy watching all your video's on you tube ,Great stuff. Wheres your dog ? to tough of a trip for the little fellow :lol:

It was one of the few day's where i decided to leave her at home, But on that note...

Thanks for watching and the compliment, but I have a bit of bad news for you all. Sparrow is gone.

She went down very suddenly on Oct 6, She was my best friend and cannot be replaced. I will be posting a few movies with her in it, but i have put those ones off so i don't have to edit with my guts in my throat. She had been slowing bit by bit year by year and made her 10th b-day just weeks before. She was strong till the end as we hiked a solid 20 km+ trip 2 days before she passed. A large tumor put pressure on her liver which caused it to fail. She went out a warrior.

Dogs are great but it sure tugs the hearts strings when they pass. I'm sure in time i will watch the videos of her with a smile, but at this point it's a pretty hard thing to do.

Any suggestions for a new breed of fishin dog?

rock chuck or yellow belly marmot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-bellied_Marmot

I guess it is possible, Although It did have quite a few non Marmot like qualities

for one, all three of us would weigh it in at 30 to 35 pounds. which is 3 times larger than any Marmot in Alberta

It had a huge fluffy tail and a face like a badger.

It also ran like the wind and dove face first into the water, like an otter.

Any of the Marmots i have seen live in the alpines in little communities among rock burrows. Could be a different type of Marmot maybe. I have been told by a few people that it could be a marmot, i have also been told by as many that it is a young wolverine.

From the photo's i've seen of wolverines they seem to have darker fur and are a little taller. The faced looked the same tho. The tail was also the same. But the fur looked to greyish for a wolverine.

Does anyone know if there a grey phase of a wolverine?

It was one of the few day's where i decided to leave her at home, But on that note...

Thanks for watching and the compliment, but I have a bit of bad news for you all. Sparrow is gone.

She went down very suddenly on Oct 6, She was my best friend and cannot be replaced. I will be posting a few movies with her in it, but i have put those ones off so i don't have to edit with my guts in my throat. She had been slowing bit by bit year by year and made her 10th b-day just weeks before. She was strong till the end as we hiked a solid 20 km+ trip 2 days before she passed. A large tumor put pressure on her liver which caused it to fail. She went out a warrior.

Dogs are great but it sure tugs the hearts strings when they pass. I'm sure in time i will watch the videos of her with a smile, but at this point it's a pretty hard thing to do.

too bad about Sparrow.....she had a life full of adventure tho :)

have you considered a rescue/shelter dog?

on a side not I watched a video of yours the other day....the one where you get caught on the fence...sorry dude but that was funny!! LOL

thx for the new vid....tight lines!!

Very sorry to hear that Jay! Nice video as usual though!

My best friend has a husky/shepherd cross that we'll start taking fishing soon enough. He's still young and hyper, but they're training him well. Plus they got a 2nd dog, an older female golden lab.. and the husky is a completely different dog since they've gotten her! She puts him in his place when he needs it, it's pretty funny to watch actually.

I bet border collies would be good fishing dogs, just for the fact that they're so intelligent. *edit* Was Sparrow a collie? Just went back and looked at some videos and she looks similar..

Sorry to hear that Jay

I know how you feel . I had a female Golden lab that was a fantastic fishing partner, very smart and at home around the water.

Guest girlsfishtoo

Great Video Humblefisherman!!

:( So sorry to hear about Sparrow. As a "dog lover/owner" it is a tough one...I got another dog a few months after losing mine to cancer. It helped to fill the "huge" void that it leaves when they are gone.

An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language - Martin Buber

Great Video Humblefisherman!!

:( So sorry to hear about Sparrow. As a "dog lover/owner" it is a tough one...I got another dog a few months after losing mine to cancer. It helped to fill the "huge" void that it leaves when they are gone.

An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language - Martin Buber

Humblefisherman..

Sorry for your loss..

I have a great fishing Buddy, and he is a breed that I have had all my life and have never been let down by them.

My Fishing buddies name is Fischer, and he is a German Shepherd Dog..

Some Photos of Fischer being what he is best My fly fishing friend...If your considering a new Fishing adventure buddy then give them a thought..

IMGP0001-6.jpg

IMGP0051-1.jpg

IMGP0063.jpg

IMGP0003-3.jpg

IMGP0030.jpg

I guess it is possible, Although It did have quite a few non Marmot like qualities

for one, all three of us would weigh it in at 30 to 35 pounds. which is 3 times larger than any Marmot in Alberta

It had a huge fluffy tail and a face like a badger.

It also ran like the wind and dove face first into the water, like an otter.

Any of the Marmots i have seen live in the alpines in little communities among rock burrows. Could be a different type of Marmot maybe. I have been told by a few people that it could be a marmot, i have also been told by as many that it is a young wolverine.

From the photo's i've seen of wolverines they seem to have darker fur and are a little taller. The faced looked the same tho. The tail was also the same. But the fur looked to greyish for a wolverine.

Does anyone know if there a grey phase of a wolverine?

wolverine.jpg

Looked at the vid again and a bunch of online pics.. you may be right, particularly with that description. not many people get to see a wolverine in the wild.

Sorry to hear about your dog, you do need to get you another Aussie dude

My condolences on the loss of your companion, it is one of the hardest things to go through. I would love to recommend a boxer(my favourite breed) but for fishing like you do I can't. They are absolutely amazing dogs but such pansies around water it drives me nuts. If the water hits their belly they won't go any deeper just whine their ass off on shore until you carry the sob across. Great video as usual, my first thoughts were small wolverine but I am just guessing.

Jay, good to see you drop by the other day, and again, sorry for your loss. I'm sure that's a smaller wolverine. The tail, and the leap over the stream screams predator, not goofy giant gopher. Plus you said you saw teeth. Were they pointy and sharp or bucktoothed? Great vid, lookin forward to more!

Great video Jay. I look forward to all your adventures.

Do you mind sharing what your video gear is? Did I see some under-water shots?

Thanks

Neil

Thanks man!

we film on many diffent camera's. The main cam is a high def sony.The underwater is done on a w30 pentax, just bought the new one w60, but still favor the old one for some reason. Our B camera is a pimped old school hitachi prosumer dvd cartidge cam.

Humblefisherman..

Sorry for your loss..

I have a great fishing Buddy, and he is a breed that I have had all my life and have never been let down by them.

My Fishing buddies name is Fischer, and he is a German Shepherd Dog..

Some Photos of Fischer being what he is best My fly fishing friend...If your considering a new Fishing adventure buddy then give them a thought..

IMGP0001-6.jpg

IMGP0051-1.jpg

IMGP0063.jpg

IMGP0003-3.jpg

IMGP0030.jpg

Wow! Fischer is a beauty man, I do like the shepherds. He looks really strong!

Nice vid Jay...and you just had a close encounter with the devil...that was indeed a young wolverine.

Thanks toolman

Really neat little creature. It's funny how it reacted toward me. It walked out of the bushes to stand right in the center of the trail facing me with no fear, then did a little head bob grin/snarl at me after i yelled "scat" at him the first time. WTF i say's to myself. I also think he watched and waited till i was split from the other two before he came out to challenge me. Everything it did was very deliberate until i was able to spook him with a big WHOOOOO!!! Then he ran with blinding speed. It actually stepped on our camera mans foot when it turned the corner where Cory (camera man) was filming Troy fishing in the river! You can hear me yell just before it comes into view. Very lucky to be rolling when it all went down.. Better chance of filming Bigfoot lol.