Fly Fusion Forums

Awesome Video

birchy

Why travel all the way to Craig...we had an unparalled dry fly season this year on the bow..

just gotta convince yourself to leave the nymph and streamer box at home next july/august/september

I agree. I intend to make a run down to Montana one of these years just for a change of scenery, but there's nothing in that video that can't be done on the great streams we have here in Alberta. Lots of good dry fly fishing on the Bow if you don't automatically go to the indicator, and some times people seem to forget that the Bow isn't the only river around. I know plenty of streams in this province where browns (just as big as those in the video) will rise to dry flies.

Why travel all the way to Craig...we had an unparalled dry fly season this year on the bow..

just gotta convince yourself to leave the nymph and streamer box at home next july/august/september

For the experience. :) (I like to travel)

I was there in May and we fished mostly size #22 nymphs and caught fish like those. One day the water surface was completely covered in Baetis. It was an awesome sight. Craig Montana, for those of you that don't know, is about 40 miles south of Gt. Falls. We had a guide for one day and he said he isn't happy until he gets 100 fish to the boat. I caught around 30 and was quite please with myself as the size of fish, be it a rainbow, brown or whitefish were very healthy and strong. I would encourage anyone with a thought of going down to check headhuntersflyshop.com. We stayed in the old trainhouse which had been thoroughly renovated for $85/night. A trip of a lifetime for me and my son.

FHD

Crazy thing.. and I can't say this for sure because I wasn't there.. but the caddis hatch on the Columbia in Castlegar during the summer (August-ish) is even thicker than that I believe.

I was standing there trying to fish and was all 'wigged out' by the hundreds of caddis crawling all over me and any given time. I kept doing the 'heebee jeebee's dance'!

Crazy thing.. and I can't say this for sure because I wasn't there.. but the caddis hatch on the Columbia in Castlegar during the summer (August-ish) is even thicker than that I believe.

I was standing there trying to fish and was all 'wigged out' by the hundreds of caddis crawling all over me and any given time. I kept doing the 'heebee jeebee's dance'!

I believe it. I've been on the Bow on an evening in early-mid July and seen them so thick they literally covered a fishing vest sitting on the back of the chair in the boat. They were in my ears, up my nose, in my mouth - you breathed them in they were so thick. I'll have to dig up the picture - it was the most insane thing I've ever seen - rivalled that of the video.