Fly Fusion Forums

Official Oilers 2008/2048 Season Thread

If Heatly had any class he should have made up his mind last night, even at least by noon eastern time today...

FNG,

Don't forget Ohlund is also out there for the sun. Where he comes from is not about winning a cup, it's about winning a gold medal which he already has.

If Heatly had any class he should have made up his mind last night, even at least by noon eastern time today...

FNG,

Don't forget Ohlund is also out there for the sun. Where he comes from is not about winning a cup, it's about winning a gold medal which he already has.

That's my basic concern with Heatly. I hope that he stays in Ottawa and they bury him on the fourth line for the remainder of his contract.

I didn't really consider that with Ohlund.....maybe it is just the weather.....lol

Hey! I'm a freakin genius sometimes!!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283439

Nice call there Birchy!

Major upgrade for the Oilers. Nothing against Roloson, he did very well for Edmonton last year, but if given a choice between Khabibulin and Roli, I'd take Khabibulin any day.

At least I know one thing for sure......Edmonton will rule the BOA this year. lol

At least I know one thing for sure......Edmonton will rule the BOA this year. lol

if khabibulan can keep up his domination of the flames you'll be right. but i suspect it will change.

been saying for a while now that if the oilers get a goaler watch out...and now they actually have one....

if khabibulan can keep up his domination of the flames you'll be right. but i suspect it will change.

been saying for a while now that if the oilers get a goaler watch out...and now they actually have one....

As much as I hated Roloson.. it was more for his constant whining to the refs, not necessarily because of his skill. He put up decent numbers last year. Khabibulan's numbers were better though.. he's definitely an upgrade. BUT, goaltending is not the problem with this team. They need a couple bonafied 1st liners to play with Hemsky.. including a natural goal scorer.

Hemmer leading the team with 66 points and 2 defenseman being in the top 5 really tells the tale IMO..

• 2 months later...
I'm thinking that it will be the year where the battle of Alberta will be back in force. From what I've seen so far both teams will be competitive. It's a good thing.

No doubt, that was the first time the Oilers have surpassed the flames in shots, intensity and physical play in years. It's going to be a really intense year in the northwest division.

No doubt, that was the first time the Oilers have surpassed the flames in shots, intensity and physical play in years. It's going to be a really intense year in the northwest division.

the oilers had home ice advantage, played up to their potential and lost. the flames were on the road,played a sub par game and won. dont see this battle getting to intense once the flames find their game.

...played up to their potential...

Bwhahahaha...Yak, sure you don't want to do color commentary for the Maple Laughs?

Its quite clairvoyant of you to determine what a team's potential is...after one game.

Hilarious! :)

Smitty

the oilers had home ice advantage, played up to their potential and lost. the flames were on the road,played a sub par game and won. dont see this battle getting to intense once the flames find their game.

Haha, this is too funny. Flames fans are all "we're playing bad but we still win, just wait till we get going!", exactly how I was thinking when the Oilers started 4-0 last year despite being outplayed. The Oilers have a completely new coaching staff and are in the process of getting used to entirely new systems and they still played better hockey than Calgary on Sat - just wait until they really get going. This is a team that hasn't yet come close to their potential.

Haha, this is too funny. Flames fans are all "we're playing bad but we still win, just wait till we get going!", exactly how I was thinking when the Oilers started 4-0 last year despite being outplayed. The Oilers have a completely new coaching staff and are in the process of getting used to entirely new systems and they still played better hockey than Calgary on Sat - just wait until they really get going. This is a team that hasn't yet come close to their potential.

No offence Snakeman, but Calgay overhauled their coaching staff too and, they now have a new system that they are playing, plus have some new key players that are still getting use to the other players, so calgary and edmonton is not so diffrence.

You also say Edmonton played better, well no offence but do they get a "E" for effort in the point board?

Bulin's mistake against calgary was a mistake a goile of his statue is not suppose to be making, espically with the money he is making, when Kipper does something like that in calgary he gets crucified for it by the press, fans, and coaching staff.

Also winning games no matter how you win it is very important in the Northwest Pacific, espically when getting a playoff spot is the diffrence of 1 or 2 pts, every game counts cause it is not a easy task to play catch up in the later half of the season.

What I see as the problems edmonton faces is they have too many "I" on the team. I could be wrong on this but that is the feeling I get.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Calgary just replace the Head Coach? Edmonton replaced the head coach, assistant coaches, and hell, even the goalie coach!

I'm not sure if that amounts to a hill of beans, but the fact remains, Calgary was out played in thier first two games and won due solely to shoddy goaltending on Luongo's and Khabibulin's part. Hell, even the Canadiens had thier back up in net vs. them last night. However, last nights game was a better game by the fLAMES and it showed. Even if two of thier goals were wild bounces. I guess Sutter's coaching strategy is fire the puck and see what happens!

Regardless, this is an OILERS thread, so maybe I should talk about them now.

From what I could tell and what I saw/heard, the team played great again last night. Actually out hit the Stars 24-14 or something like that. I actually can't remember the last time the Oilers did that! Add that to the fact that they fought back from 2-1, 3-2, and 4-3 defecits to win in the SO shows that they have no quit in them this year and don't roll over and die when a bad goal goes in the net on them.

Only two games into this young season and I am looking forward to an improving team as the season goes along.

GO OILERS!

i am loving how quinn disperses his heavy hitters (jacques,brule,stortini,stone) across all four lines. It really gives the more skilled players time to do what they do best when one of the big boys takes a man out of the play. Its exciting hockey and look forward to seeing them get better at it. The oilers havent had that kind of grit in the past few years so win or lose its still exciting to watch. Yeah for the coaching staff!!