Fly Fusion Forums

Barbless Hooks

They do sell em that way, but it is up to the tier to use em, so check out stores with locally tied flies; With customers in different places with different rules, the bigger companies or tiers who ship flies everywhere just go with the barbed hooks and let the angler sort it out.

They do sell em that way, but it is up to the tier to use em, so check out stores with locally tied flies; With customers in different places with different rules, the bigger companies or tiers who ship flies everywhere just go with the barbed hooks and let the angler sort it out.

so do you know which retailers sell the barbless hooks - i think we should support the effort. i also dont see a whole lot of extra cost in not having a barb - hell after a few thousand hooks it is probably cheaper in (what ever metal they use)

so who sell local made hooks?

i understand the logic behind barbless hooks and why it is important to fish mortality rates

what i dont understand is if it is important - then why odnt they sell hooks with the barbs already off?

would that not be a huge step forward?

Flies and hooks are sold throughout North America. Laws differ from place to place. Barb production is the way most machinery is geared. If you support a local tier you will get barbless, just ask.

Flies and hooks are sold throughout North America. Laws differ from place to place. Barb production is the way most machinery is geared. If you support a local tier you will get barbless, just ask.

ok but we are in a capitalist economy - we can vote with our dollars is it not possible to exert some $$$ muscle by asking more and more for Barbless?

just food for thought - cause my wife asked me the question and it got me thinking - why not

Most of Tiemco's hooks are now available in barbless. They are indicated by "BL" appended to the usual hook number (e.g. TMC100BL, TMC2457BL, TMC2487BL, TMC200RBL etc.). I'm not sure if the Calgary shops are stocking them instead of the corresponding barbed hooks, but it makes sense that they should. Terry

Most of Tiemco's hooks are now available in barbless. They are indicated by "BL" appended to the usual hook number (e.g. TMC100BL, TMC2457BL, TMC2487BL, TMC200RBL etc.). I'm not sure if the Calgary shops are stocking them instead of the corresponding barbed hooks, but it makes sense that they should. Terry

That would be good, i clipped a barb on a bugger last night but it still had a little bump that was enough to make it a tug-o-war with the back of my hand.