Fly Fusion Forums

Official Flames 2008/2043 Seasons Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is becoming entertaining again.

All I hear from flames fans is a bunch of whining about how Deadmonton sucks and than noone wants to play there. Young talent doesn't want to play there, UFA's don't want to play there.

Can't recall the last time a big name signed in Calgary. Well, there was Boumeester, but look how much that has helped them make the playoffs. He STILL hasn't played a single playoff game, so that signing is HUGE for Calgary. Oh, I know, it was Cammalleri! Oh....wait.....they traded for him and then he got the hell out of there like a rat on a sinking ship. Singed in Montreal, who has not only reached the playoffs, but had some pretty major success there too. Must have been Phaneuf......no....wait....I do believe he was booed out of town by the ever intellectual Flames faithful. Oh, wait, by your own words yak, flames fans AREN'T faithful. They only cheer for the team when they win. That just proves that flames fans are bandwagoners and are only flames fans (as confessed to and evidenced by, who else, a flames fan!). Not hockey fans. Which supports Mr Botangles comment about how non-flames fans know more about the flames than flames fans do. Because they generally only care just enough to cheer when they are winning. Once they are out, they stop watching or caring.

Great arguments so far yak, keep em coming! This is great stuff!

PS - That is a pretty awesome pic Chris! Sure sums up both teams the last couple years.

I do believe he was booed out of town by the ever intellectual Flames faithful. Oh, wait, by your own words yak, flames fans AREN'T faithful. They only cheer for the team when they win. That just proves that flames fans are bandwagoners and are only flames fans (as confessed to and evidenced by, who else, a flames fan!). Not hockey fans. Which supports Mr Botangles comment about how non-flames fans know more about the flames than flames fans do. Because they generally only care just enough to cheer when they are winning. Once they are out, they stop watching or caring.

I never booed!! I don't bandwagon jump!!!!! Flames or out but I'm looking forward to some awesome playoff hockey!!!!!!

Don't group all Flames fans in one basket :$*%&: I can go to a few Oilers forums and point out some broken ankles from all the jumpers up North!!!! Oilers and Esks!!!!!!!!

Here's how I categorize fans in general but will use the Flames fans as an example.

1) FANATIC: A fan that knows everything about there team. Line combinations, PP,PK, can name the assistant coaches, draft picks etc. etc

2) SUPPORTER: A fan that can name the backup goalie, the top 6 forwards and top 4 defence

3) CHEERER: The guy/gal at the pub that starts clapping/cheering 30 seconds after his team scores 'cause he/she hasn't been watching the game.

4) SWEATER WEARER: The guy that bought his first ever Flames jersey in 2004. Wears it at the game because he wants to look like everybody else, but won't wear it out after the game, cause it's doesn't match his outfit. Thinks that the sweater makes him a fan.

Any categories that I may have missed? ;)

This could be funny!!

I never booed!! I don't bandwagon jump!!!!! Flames or out but I'm looking forward to some awesome playoff hockey!!!!!!

Don't group all Flames fans in one basket :$*%&: I can go to a few Oilers forums and point out some broken ankles from all the jumpers up North!!!! Oilers and Esks!!!!!!!!

Oh I know you can. I never said that the Oil didn't have their share of bandwagoners, I was only pointing out what yak said about how when the team sucked, the building was empty. Not a lot of passion in the flames "fans" then. Only now have they decided to spend their money when the team became "good".

No offence to you BBT, even if you do take your shots at my Oil whenever you can.

How about the guy who doen't like to get all caught up in the numbers and the cap but just love the sport and his team in that sport. Why must I know more then or pretend to know more then the GM of the club and go online to prove I'm smarter then everyone? Why can't I just chear for my :$*%&: team without being grouped into something?

PS if you bump into me tomorrow at the game (I'll be the guy in the red Iggy jersey (Bought last season) and a team Canada ball cap) I'll buy you a beer.

How about the guy who doen't like to get all caught up in the numbers and the cap but just love the sport and his team in that sport. Why must I know more then or pretend to know more then the GM of the club and go online to prove I'm smarter then everyone? Why can't I just chear for my :$*%&: team without being grouped into something?

PS if you bump into me tomorrow at the game (I'll be the guy in the red Iggy jersey (Bought last season) and a team Canada ball cap) I'll buy you a beer.

Cheerer!! Haha!

Well said. I never said I was smarter than everyone.....just Flames fans. <--poke--<

I'm sorry.....I guess I am a hockey snob and it is.... just a game.

:flames: Enjoy the game, when you see an explosion of fire.....clap!!

4) SWEATER WEARER: The guy that bought his first ever Flames jersey in 2004. Wears it at the game because he wants to look like everybody else, but won't wear it out after the game, cause it's doesn't match his outfit. Thinks that the sweater makes him a fan.

LMFAO. It's so true. There's so many black flaming C's. Whatever happened to the orange C's I used to see in the crowd when Lanny played? And before the Flames made their fluke run, who, in their right mind, would ever admit to even being associated with the Flames (i.e. the Flame fan base of the 90's)?

You did miss a category. Die hards would know about the Loob, the tri-captains, the old Patrick division and the dismantling of the core in the early 90's.

LMFAO. It's so true. There's so many black flaming C's. Whatever happened to the orange C's I used to see in the crowd when Lanny played? And before the Flames made their fluke run, who, in their right mind, would ever admit to even being associated with the Flames (i.e. the Flame fan base of the 90's)?

You did miss a category. Die hards would know about the Loob, the tri-captains, the old Patrick division and the dismantling of the core in the early 90's.

see FANATIC

LMFAO. It's so true. There's so many black flaming C's. Whatever happened to the orange C's I used to see in the crowd when Lanny played?

Most of us got too fat to still wear those jersey's. I had one that I always wore, but I grew a couple of feet up and out since then.........

• 2 months later...

I think the trade was excellent.

1) Gave us lots of cap space

2) Out of all of our high paied players I feel regher was the most expendable (Our defensive team has never be a problem we need people that are going to score plain and simple)

3) Allowed us to sign tungay which was a player we had to sign and we needed to sign him before he went to free agency cause I belive we would not of been able to keep him if that happened.

Have faith in our new defesive players such as Bowmeister (Gonna lean on him more as a leader now) Gieodano (Man I can never spell his name but a very good young d-man) Pardy (Looking good for the years to come and also a young player) And the other dmen (I hate to admit Statios also) are doing well.

With Tungay signed I think we really need to sign Morrison also as he played very well for us last year and a great #2 center. With that we now have cap room which everyone else was belly aching about.

• 3 months later...
I predict the flames will be old and slow. I predict they will continue to trade away the real talent for what looks good on paper.

Just watched the last 6 minutes of the Flames/Oilers game; Flames didn't look old or slow to me.

Good thing they only have to play 6 minutes to beat the Oilers... :angel:smail:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Ok, Oilers banter is not nearly as interesting as Flames banter, simply because the Oiler's direction/plan is so straightforward; better start winning, sooner rather than later.

But I am curious to know what you guys think of the Flames. Frankly, us up here in Oil Country, while we generally like the Sutters, most of us are no fans of Jay Feaster; especially since he (almost smugly) derided the Oilers approach by rebuilding from scratch.

So what now Jay Feaster? What say you Flames fans? Is it time to throw in the towel and spend some years sucking as bad as the Oilers? Is it time to "blow" the team up and start over? Should the Flames wait a little longer for Iginlas value to drop before trading him? And Kiprusoff?

Or, will it be Feaster's business as usual "Hey-we're-on-the-verge-of-a-breakthrough-with-this-old-team-chock-full-of-underachieving-veterans-with-no-trade-clauses"?

Picking 14th, and not in the playoffs - that's about as bad as it gets. If there's any lesson I've learned from the last 3 years, if you are going to suck, be the suckiest team around. ;)

Smitty

I predict the flames will be old and slow. I predict they will continue to trade away the real talent for what looks good on paper.

well I stand by my predictions made at the start of the season. We did literally nothing last off season save trading our most solid defensemen. It showed. We got outshot most games and had trouble getting the puck out of our own end. Kipper was a freekin STUD in net this year and the ONLY one who deserves a paycheck.

I have been on the "blow the team up" side for at least a year and this season just served to anger me even more as a fan. I couldn't watch most games as these fat old "vets" watched younger players with more heart on opposing teams skate around their tired lazy old fat paycheck grabbing azzes. Until this team starts playing with the same kind of passion that *I HAVE* for hockey... I am done with them. Will I become a fan of another team? Probably not... but it sure is becoming hard to watch hockey at all. Look at the philly - pittsburg series right now for an example of how hocley should be played. I never saw a game like those ones all year.

There was a guy in my store the other day wearing a Flames tshirt. I walked over to him chuckling and asked him if he needed a hand with something. Then I said something like "I think its kinda funny that you are wearing a Flames shirt and looking at the golf stuff." He didnt seem very impressed, or he just didnt understand my joke.

Anyway, I thought it was hilarious that a guy wearing a flames jersey was shopping for golf balls, when the whole team is going to be golfing now. Maybe its just me.

Greg

• 11 months later...

Dear Jay Feaster:

For someone who has roundly criticized Oilers management and their "let's-blow-it-up-and-rebuild-through-the-draft-approach", can I just ask:

Would you like some of Franks Red Hot while eat your Crow? And, remember, Humble Pie is on the dessert menu.

Honestly, I do feel for the Flames fans.

But yes, I am absolutely gloating over Feaster. I wonder what "word" he'll use to describe his managment approach now, lol?

Smitty