Fly Fusion Forums

Posting Images Of Fish On The Fly Fish Calgary Board

admin

When posting pictures of fish please do not post any images that show fish being handled in the following ways if practicing catch and release.

- fingers under gill plates or lifting fish by the gills (it can harm the gills and stress out the Fish)

- fish laying on the bottom of boats

- pictures of fish laying on dry rocks, grass, snow, ice or any stream side area were it may be harmful to the fish. These surfaces remove the protective slime and put the fish at risk.

- handling of fish in a vertical hanging position. (internal organs may be damaged from holding fish upright by the tail or the head)

Please try to practice taking pictures of fish partially submerged in the water (i.e streamside in the river, on aquatic vegetation along the shore in the water, laying on a wet net etc.) this way we can ensure a better practice of catch and release and proper fish handling. Keep fish in the water until you are ready to photograph it.

Please also take a minute to read through Brett Svoboda's article - Stressed Fish and a Proper Release

If you do post an image of a fish described above, the image will be removed. If you see an image like this, please use the "Report" button found on each post to flag it to the attention of the admins.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Rich. Will add this as well.

I think I need some clearification on this post. I am a huge advocate of C&R; but from time to time a fish makes its way to my families plate. I see no shame in this and don't see where the offence comes from to censor the postings because an angler keeps a fish and is legally within the regs.

A prime example of this is the 8' sailfish I caught last month in Mexico. That specific fish was landed within the offshore regulations and did not go to waste. It was shared by my wife and I as well as a small underprivelaged village who cleaned the boat in appreciation for the meal.

The nice thing of a public board such as this is to share your catch and the pics of that trophy. I believe in C&R and believe the board should be advocates of it, but not censor legally caught fish that don't go to waste because we don't like the presentation or backdrop

What do you think?

I think I need some clearification on this post. I am a huge advocate of C&R; but from time to time a fish makes its way to my families plate. I see no shame in this and don't see where the offence comes from to censor the postings because an angler keeps a fish and is legally within the regs.

A prime example of this is the 8' sailfish I caught last month in Mexico. That specific fish was landed within the offshore regulations and did not go to waste. It was shared by my wife and I as well as a small underprivelaged village who cleaned the boat in appreciation for the meal.

The nice thing of a public board such as this is to share your catch and the pics of that trophy. I believe in C&R and believe the board should be advocates of it, but not censor legally caught fish that don't go to waste because we don't like the presentation or backdrop

What do you think?

Talk about your touchy subjects!

I have never kept a single fish since I moved back to Alberta. I've taken pictures of lots, some on grass and rocks. I don't do that anymore on the chance that it may be bad for the fish (and I personally believe the damage from grass/rocks is way overstated. No real science in my case on this, just an opinion). I do that because of this board, so I guess that is good. I would rather err on the side of caution. My concern in issues like this is where do we draw the line? There will ALWAYS be people who are more sensitive than you are in the handling of fish. Should we pander to the most sensitive? No nets, no fish out of water, fish handling gloves, no vertical, etc.,etc. I'm not picking on anyone here. Really, I'm not. I believe all the people who are out in front on this issue have the best interest of the fish at heart. As do I by the way. I still question where the line gets drawn.

• Thanks 1

The regulations state:

Releasing Prohibited Fish

You must immediately release every fish that cannot be legally kept because of species, catch limit, size limit or other regulation, without exception, even if the fish is injured or dead. When the fish is alive, you must release it in a manner that causes the least harm to the fish.

The definition of Immediately is "without interval of time ".

I would guess that for a large number of the pictures taken of Prohibited Fish and posted on this site, an "interval of time" was required after catching the fish in order to get the picture. I would then say that is breaking the law.

Careful what you wish for. Some people can be real sticklers.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Boy I don't want o start a fight. I read the "stressed fish" article. Here is a quote:

The long and short of it was that if the fish’s eyes are looking down, or at the water while being held upright, it was less stressed than a fish that has “Dead Eyes” that are staring blankly straight ahead. He also explained that if the fish has the blank stare, his findings showed that the fish had less than a 10% chance of survival, even if quickly released. He explained that it is very important to look at the fish’s eyes once it is landed because taking extra time with the release, can improve a fish showing stress’ chance of survival by as much as 58%.

I've been fishing for 50 years and photographing fish for 30 years. This is bullshit. DOWN EYES INDICATE STRESS.

A fish that comes to hand easy will have its eyes straight out. A fish that has fought hard and possibly in warm water will have down eyes.

The eyes of fish swimming (underwater .. doh) are straight out. They are NOT down.

Cheers!

Clive

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Once a fish's eyes don't orient to the water when above surface, he's pretty much a goner. " That is bullshit!

"A fish's eyes underwater are horizontal to the socket because the hydrostatic pressure of water holds them there," ?? A released trout with horizontal eyes 2 inches under the water are straight because of water pressure? Really. Lots of pressure there, eh? Following your "water pressure" logic then a fish's eyes would be straight at (say) 4 foot dpeth and gradually turn downward as it neared the surface. That is no so.

I've caught trout for 50 years and photographed trout for 30 years. I've landed thousands of trout. The tired ones have their eyes down.

Trout that come in readily have their eyes straight and SPLASH away. The stressed ones are down and have to be released with care.

According to you 80 percent of the fish we release are goners I guess. Sure. okay. You bet.

Gonna post some pix later.

EDIT: I don't have to post pictures of my own ... but will gladly do so if desired. I took a few minutes and checked the fish images on this site. I recorded eye position of 65 trout--the first 65 I came across where eues position could be seen clearly.

42 (65 percent) were out

13 (20 percent)were down

10 (15 percent were in between)

PGK, be careful about what you say. Maybe some guys don't treat fish quite right but I guarantee that 65 percent are not "goners." To say that fish with eyes out are "goners" is misleading and a disservice to novice anglers. You should reconsider your advice because it is incorrect.

Cheers!

Clive

Just looked through about 50 pictures of fish.. all larger fish 18+ and this is what I noticed.

if the fish is lying on its side in the water, most times down turned eye (at least the one that is facing the camera)

If the fish is being cradled by hand just barley out of the water, most times down turned but a few blank stares..

If the fish is on it's side out of the water, most lying in a net on the rocks (not proud of this but, some real old pics and Im digging for facts) more blank stares then down turned eyes.

got a few snap shots of fish underwater and ALL have blank stares .. but I don;t for one minute buy the hydrostatic pressure theory (just my belief) in a few inches or even a foot of water .. a foot of water will produce 3 kPa - you'll get a larger pressure change from nice to bad weather or vice versa. nowhere near enough pressure to effect the eyes (again my belief).

AND..of all the pics I have of Whitefish..ALL have a blank stare regardless of position ..

take this for what it is but all i know for sure is I have two rainbows in an aquarium and both have the ghostly stare you could imagine & their eyes move in the socket not unlike ours do, and as far as i can tell..they are very happy fish

either or .. handle your fish with care and do everything you can to ensure a safe release..even if it means missing that perfect pose .. who wants a picture of a soon to be dead fish ?

• 8 months later...

Another Great Reason To Leave Fish In The Water!!

Grip and Grin by Brett Colvin and Jason Morrison

Page 77 Issue 18

Literally! Since the mind paints pictures, there is a strong tendency to imagine animals in there natural environment. A fish in the Vice-like grip of a clothed primate automatically seems out of place. Experiment with releasing fish in relatively shallow, clear water and photographing them in character.

http://www.thisisfly.com/

Also check out page 45 in issue 17!!

Get a Grip ReVisited

(And down eyes on a fish is a good thing)

I've been trying to keep track, and quick played, less tired fish have down facing eyes.

Page 77 Issue 18

Get a Grip ReVisited

I've been trying to keep track, and quick played, less tired fish have down facing eyes.

Great article Harps!

Thanks for posting.

I was wondering what all that ISO, f/STOP crap meant on my camera........

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
"Once a fish's eyes don't orient to the water when above surface, he's pretty much a goner. " That is bullshit!

"A fish's eyes underwater are horizontal to the socket because the hydrostatic pressure of water holds them there," ?? A released trout with horizontal eyes 2 inches under the water are straight because of water pressure? Really. Lots of pressure there, eh? Following your "water pressure" logic then a fish's eyes would be straight at (say) 4 foot dpeth and gradually turn downward as it neared the surface. That is no so.

I've caught trout for 50 years and photographed trout for 30 years. I've landed thousands of trout. The tired ones have their eyes down.

Trout that come in readily have their eyes straight and SPLASH away. The stressed ones are down and have to be released with care.

According to you 80 percent of the fish we release are goners I guess. Sure. okay. You bet.

Gonna post some pix later.

when they are sizzling in the frying pan with a pad of butter, i think one eye is straight up ?

EDIT: I don't have to post pictures of my own ... but will gladly do so if desired. I took a few minutes and checked the fish images on this site. I recorded eye position of 65 trout--the first 65 I came across where eues position could be seen clearly.

42 (65 percent) were out

13 (20 percent)were down

10 (15 percent were in between)

PGK, be careful about what you say. Maybe some guys don't treat fish quite right but I guarantee that 65 percent are not "goners." To say that fish with eyes out are "goners" is misleading and a disservice to novice anglers. You should reconsider your advice because it is incorrect.

Cheers!

Clive

Page 77 Issue 18

Get a Grip ReVisited

Wow! never thought id learn so much about photography in one article. Thanks for sharing!!! Now i have a new site to read while i'm sitting at home sick because of staying out on the bow so late in the cold! btw sorry for getting off topic.

• 1 year later...