Fly Fusion Forums

Lake Whitefish

RDevonshire

Hi everybody, ive been fishing alot and havent had much success for whitefish in the lakes up here in northern alberta. Was wondering if anyone can give me some insight to how to go about catching these whitefish. For the most part the way ive been fishing them is close to the bottom with chronimids, around sand bars. Success is there from time to time but l know this type of fishing isnt really over exposed, to where everyones fishing for them and almost every lake around me has them in it so l would like to get better at this. Any info is appreciated and if anyone gets around the lac la biche area l will show them some great lakes for the toothy critters. Walleye and pike fishing this year has been great...

I was at a lake last year where there was big caddis coming off in the evening. I fished a caddis pupae under an indicator with some twitching and caught a number of whitefish. I also found that the fish were in quite shallow water early in the morning and late in the evening eating chironomids. You could try fishing a chironomid under an indicator near the surface (5-7 ft or shallower).

You basically have to find at what depth and how close to the shore the whities are hanging, it varies with time of year and food source. A fish finder is really handy for whitefishing to get the right dept. or it's trial and error with lots of indicator depth changes. Mind you one you key into em....

I agree with the Doc - whitefish action should be very steady. If I don't have a hit in really short order I change depth or location or whatever. They're a blast at this time of year, especially if you get the chance to fish them on emerging chrons.

A #12 or #14 black chronie with a red rib usually does the trick. They're a riot on a 3 weight.

Hey thanks for all the info, l have a cottage in laclabiche l stay at when l dont want to drive to calgary from fort mac. So lately been going to the Bow for some great fly fishing, but im going to start hangin out around here for a bit, and catching walleye and pike all day is fun but wanna focus on the whitefish for awhile. lm tellin ya the walleye and pike fishin up here at some of these lakes is incredible but lately noticed that alot of the perch seem to be disappearing, wonder if that well mess up some of these lakes?