Fly Fusion Forums

Rising Cutthroat #1

dryfly

Thanks all. Was a hoot to watch. Was glad I was lugging the telephoto lens.

RE: Did I catch it? ^_^:D No I did not catch it as I did not have my fishing gear with me ... I took these while with the Stream Watch officer.

RE: Classes. Yeah I do classes now and then, to whomever asked.

RE: Polarizer. A polarizer takes the glare off the water. The filter was back up at the truck and was too far away to get...these pix had to be taken as you never know when it will be over. And it was over soon enough as another trout came over and they did not like each other and sort of scrapped and left. We watched this fish feed for perhaps 5 minutes.

RE: Camera. A Sony A700 12 MP DSLR with G Series 70-300 telephoto and a monopod. (I was a Minolta guy for 40 years and Sony bought Minolta two years ago. They are carrying on the high-quality Minolta tradition. Coming out with some good glass. This month they will release a 24 MP full-frame DSLR. I will pass unless I win 649.;))

Thanks all. Was a hoot to watch. Was glad I was lugging the telephoto lens.

RE: Did I catch it? ^_^:D No I did not catch it as I did not have my fishing gear with me ... I took these while with the Stream Watch officer.

RE: Classes. Yeah I do classes now and then, to whomever asked.

RE: Polarizer. A polarizer takes the glare off the water. The filter was back up at the truck and was too far away to get...these pix had to be taken as you never know when it will be over. And it was over soon enough as another trout came over and they did not like each other and sort of scrapped and left. We watched this fish feed for perhaps 5 minutes.

B) Very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing.

Hi Clive,

I witnessed the exact same thing on the Carbondale in July (although my pictures are not nearly as impressive as yours!). It was a very large Cutt sipping surface flies in a gin-clear pool that I spotted from the top of a cliff. He was coming into very shallow water not 3 feet from the shore/bank and did not seem afraid of anything. Just for curiousity sake, I gradually moved closer and closer (taking pictures) until I was within 1.5 rod lengths from him. Again, he did not appear concerned (or did not see me as I wearing green and keeping to the bushes). Just for curiousity again, I waited until he turned away from me and then flipped (it was a "cast" with not much more than my leader) my stimulator to just behind him. He must have heard it because he immediately turned back around and rose up and sipped it down. I couldn't believe it as I was standing right there in full view. I released him quickly and then stood to watch his behaviour for a while. He went under a little ledge for a couple of minutes, but in less than 5 minutes he was back sipping surface flies in full view and almost at my feet again! Very interesting fish and beautifully marked.

Neil

Hey Max:

ummmm....I pride myself as a former teacher knowing all the cool, hip, lingo from the younger generations,...but was what you said...is that a compliment? ;) ;)

Smitty

ahh come on smitty u should know what it means being a former teacher ;).. have any younger teenage kids or grandkids kickin around? ask them... but really... i totally dissed dryfly because he take the worst photos ;)

Thanks. Was most fun.

Confession time gang!

How many of us have seen this happen and managed to pull the fly away about the same time its nose comes up? :P :P :P

Never happened to me personally. Well not today anyway. ;)