Fly Fusion Forums

Waders?

Bloodshot

I was talking to a freind and he said that all the FF'ers in Calgary use waders. I'm heading out there next week from ON for 6 days or so and I don't have any waders. Is it worth bringing fly gear if I don't wade? BTW, this will be my first try at flyfishing. My grandfather from Scotland who lived on the Spey river left me his gear and I've been dying to try it out.

Thoughts?

Guest JayVee
I was talking to a freind and he said that all the FF'ers in Calgary use waders. I'm heading out there next week from ON for 6 days or so and I don't have any waders. Is it worth bringing fly gear if I don't wade? BTW, this will be my first try at flyfishing. My grandfather from Scotland who lived on the Spey river left me his gear and I've been dying to try it out.

Thoughts?

The water might be a little on the cool side right now but there are lots of people that wet wade the Bow during the summer. There was a guy across the river from me tonight, though, that was wearing just shorts. You should be fine. The Bow might be a little difficult for an absolute beginner, in my opinion. Should be fun all the same. Good luck with it. Hope this helps.

-N-

there are a ton of places you can fish from shore.

but waders make it much easier.

you can also rent waders from the university out door program center.

its in the nw of the city and its 10$ a day

they have multi day rental deals.

7 days for 40$

There are plenty of places in fish creek park where you dont need waders or have any need to wade into the river. Walk the trails and you'll find enough places to stand on shore and flyfish. You'll need bring a roll cast with you though.

Sure you can wet wade the Bow, I have been doing it since mid June, cold yes but once your in it is fine, as far as cleanlyness, I would say it is cleaner than the Rideau, Credit, Grand, Moira and Cataraqui Rivers through thier City center runs, back in Ontario

the one thing you do need wet or in wades is felt soled boots for the rocky bottoms.

What's your tolerance for cold water? I find it uncomfortable to wet wade when others seem to be fine. The university rentals are good quality and inexpensive.

Relying on shore fishing is limiting on a river the size of the Bow if only to have additional back cast room. Since this is your first time fly fishing, use waders and you'll be less frustrated with picking flies out of trees and grass behind you as tbone indicates.

Here is what I am doing now.

In the winter time I wear my chest highs (more for warmth then anything else)

In the spring and summer months I will be wearing weist highs (going to be buying the new seriia wist high at whole sales) just so I don't sweat like a mother ****er.

But here is the thing, generally I do not get into the water, for most people I see wading into the water they wade out far enough that they are standing ontop of the fish. Generally I never really go out past my knees, so when I am in the city and close to home I will wet wade and when I am else were waders. I generally wear waders for those areas of water that I have to cross that are sometimes deep.

Hope that helps you some.

I tell you I needed my waders today. Even so I was pretty cold. I'm planning to get a good pair of nyoprenes for the fall and winter. I fished most of last winter and lost feeling in my feet on more than one occasion....

I'm strongly considering buying those scierra CC3 waist high waders, I just plain don't need chest waders when fishing the Bow 95% of the time. Max told me they are really great waders and they seemed durable. I wet wade mountain streams in summer, and the NW Bow sometimes on hot days after May. On the lower Bow I always wear waders.

Guest RedWiggler

The Bow is nasty man, I personally cant believe anyone would go in there without waders on but to each his own. I have an a friend that works in a lab and they just tested some water from the Bow and apparently it was pretty discusting, Ive always thought it was pretty gross but hearing what she had to say solidified what I have always thought. :peesout: That said the fishing is unreal, you can really get some big boys here.