Fly Fusion Forums

Southern Alberta Flyfishing Spot

Hi me and a friend are looking for a spot to do some fly fishing in 2 weeks in the Kanaskas, Bragg Creek, crowsnest pass or Fernie area (Anywhere within a 2-4 hour drive from Calgary or Lethbridge would be fine). We have a few quads as well as a Ranger and are looking for rivers, creeks, remote mountain lakes etc. We want something to do over 1 or 2 nights and camping in the bush. Any help with specific areas, trails, links etc. would be awesome thanks.

Wow...didn't expect to get this kind of response....Iam not out to destroy the land nor will I. I simply want to park the truck and trailer somewhere and access some more remote areas and streams using the ATV's. Can anyone please recommend some areas.

Thanks

Sailz

What is the matter with walking into the area(s) ?? The ATV pressure

has generated considerable environmental concern and rightly so.

So as someone else said leave the quads at home and consider walking,

the area you pick will thank you for it.

castle/carbondale area south of crowsnest has specified atv areas and some of the trails do run along the river. the COs do heavily enforce the atv rules so make sure your insurance and registration is up to date and dont drive on the main roads. lots of random camping and provincial camp grounds to chose from.

Looking for a icon to describe how disapointed I am with this thread.......looking.......disapointed.......looking.....

Agreed.

To get back to the original topic, if that is allowed, I think you should pick up Alberta's Trout Highway, the Forestry trunk road book by Barry Mitchell. He has all the streams along Hwy 40 (The Forestry Trunk Road) and how to fish them If you find someplace that sounds good, get a Backcountry Map book of the area (I think it's the SW Alberta one), find the stream or river and see if there are any marked trails. Maybe even Google Earth it and look? If I knew some, I'd let you know.

Good luck.

I simply want to park the truck and trailer somewhere and access some more remote areas and streams using the ATV's.

Herein Lies The Problem.....

Most of our "remote" areas really do not need any ATV's running around. Sorry to sound offensive, but that's how I and a lot of others feel.

lmao i hear ya dude.. sorry too seem like you are getting bashed dude.. htere arnt a ton of places too quad.. and the places were others do are not too remote anymore.. there are backroad map books that will give you trail locations and have spots with fishing aswell... most of us have had some shitty experiences with quaders in teh rivers and wahtnot and would rpefer not too disclose such information.. not saying you are one of the lunatics.... but its jstu a touch subject too most... like otehrs have mentioned.. but the books mentioned above in my post and others will give oyu enough information too stear you in teh right direction

Herein Lies The Problem.....

Most of our "remote" areas really do not need any ATV's running around. Sorry to sound offensive, but that's how I and a lot of others feel.

Isn't the idea of camping and ATVing to remote fishing places everyones dream?

Isn't that the reason that the places are ripped up....you know....by everyone trying to live the dream?

Isn't the idea of camping and ATVing to remote fishing places everyones dream?

Being on a noisy, smelly quad certainly isn't my dream.

I guess if I liked destroying the environment and making loud obnoxious noises it might be.

The moral of the story is different strokes for different folks, but if you think its rude for people not wanting to advertise a their favorite remote fishing spot publicly to ATV'ers - you can :$*%&: Because the last thing this bloody province needs is another redneck hell bent on as much environmental destruction possible.

Guest bigbadbrent
Here is a question for all:

If ATV'ers = Rednecks hell bent on destruction

does

Fly fisherman=Morally superior elitist?

Just wondering.

You must be a rabid mix of Morally Superior, Manifest Destiny Yahoo Texan Elitist! Throw in some redneck, and we've got a party!

just buggin ya big guy

Do yourself a favour and leave the quad at home. You won't need it and you'll save on gas hauling it around. There are lots of spots where you can just park your truck, hike the river/creek/lake for 30 min and get the remote wilderness fishing experience you are looking for.

Hey, I was just discussing this with a friend yesterday. The Waiperous area has some excellent quadding and camping as well as some descent fishing. I think there are several small lakes that might be stocked. Just be sure to stay on the designated ATV trails and I'm sure everyone will be happy. Good Luck.