Fly Fusion Forums

Furled Leader Making

I've read about them, I've seen one, courtesy of AMU and I wanted one. So I decided to make my own using the guide lines by Henk Verhaar that appeared in a Global Fly Fisher article.

The only thing I bought were the weights from the local tackle shop what don't do fly fishing! The rest came from the shed. A 1/4 sheet of 12mm MDF 1M x 0.5M, a length of 2 x 3/4 pine and a broom handle, screws, dowel and hooks I had in there as well.

Knocking it up according to the instructions was not difficult although this being Friday the 13th I did manage to short out the cable on my £150 jigsaw!

Step 1.

Cut 2 planks from the MDF

Letusbegin.jpg

Step 2.

Join them with pine and countersunk screws so it can be disassembled for storage

UnderConstruction.jpg

Step 3.

Measure it out and fit the posts

FurlingBoard.jpg

Step 4.

Follow the instructions and hey presto! My first two 6ft Furled Leaders, one for the river and the other a Hi-Vis for buzzer and nymphing from a floating line!

RiverandNymphingFurledLeaders.jpg

Furled Leader anyone?

Hey,

Very nice job....Furled leaders are excellent...a bit expensive but goooood.

Are you going to sell some?

C

Expensive? No Way! They only cost about C$2.00 to make after you have made up the board. All you need are a couple of spools of UNI 6/0 or 3/0 thread, mono if you want super strong and from 100M of mono you get 3 x 2M furled leaders 15lb BS.

I am Scottish and anything that involves expense is scrutinised very closely!

Sorry, but just making them for fun and not retail.

Conor,

if you do PM me and I will send you drawings of the modifications that I made to the original design that makes it more flexible in constructing different tapers and lengths.

• 8 months later...

For those looking for more detailed instructions, go to flyangler.ca and an article by Greg Scratchley dated Mar 23/06. His instructions give 3 leader lengths. I have been making furled leaders for 3 seasons using monofilament Berkley Trilene 2 lb(.005 dia) and Rapala 4 lb (.006 dia) for floating uses and flurocarbon 4 lb for sinking lines. Not quite as limp as unithread but still most satisfactory. Cost typically less than $1Cdn per leader. Have been using Shorb loops at both ends (can be googled for instructions).