Fly Fusion Forums

Oyama Lake And Ol Doc

SilverDoctor

Work, work, work, nothing but work lately. The last few months have not seem me on the water because of job commitments. A week off for the wife and me and the pair of us decided to visit the folks in Kelowna for a week. They’re getting on and we try to spend time with them. Driving up the wife said “take a day and get out on a mountain lake“

It rained fairly steady through the week and I hoped for a break in the weather. Brother in law and I decide Friday would have to do, he had a day off and I had to head home the next day so Friday it was.. We rolled out of bed at 5 am packed up the truck with the gear and hit a Macdonalds for breakie.

I had visited a great local fly shop the day before and they suggested Oyama lake. I grew up in Kelowna and had not fished that lake in quite a few years. It would be nice to check out an old haunt. We drove out to Oyama munching McMuffins and gulping coffee. Rain dotted the windshield. The road was great compared to my youth. A great scenic drive along the switchbacks ascending up to the lake area. We arrived about a half hour before the small store at Oyama lake opened. I stared out on the cold grey lake looking for a break in the weather. The wind was whipping spray up to the lodge. It was Quite cold (you could see your breath) but we where dressed in layers and the promise of time on the water does wonders to one’s spirit. The store opened up and we wandered in. Looking over the fly selection a lot of the names rang out of my childhood. Alaxandia, Queen of the Waters, 52 Buick plus many new ones. We settled up on the boat rental and hiked the gear down to the boat dock.

The boats and motors where very well cared for. I was impressed with the lodger owner, he bailed out the previous day’s rain and topped up the gas before testing the motor. The lake has quite a number of small islands and a lot of visible structure. We headed up the lake shoreline and anchored in a bay. An hour of fishing nymphs and chromonids on sinking lines produced no action and the wind was whipping up a storm with low black clouds rolling across the sky. It was hard casting and we resorted to downwind rollcasts.

Hands numbing, we decided to find a more sheltered bay and we ran up the lake bucking whitecaps. I headed straight upwind and after a half hour I found a shelter in a shallow bay that was surrounded by high pines, enough to keep the water calm. We cut for lunch and coffee to warm up. Our hands where stiff with cold and the coffee burned but we warmed. Sitting and watching with hands in pockets for a while there was the odd rise. I scooped a few tiny caddis and mayflies off the water. Switched over to the dry line and and flicked a small tom thumb over to the shore line. I got an instant answer and a fat 14 inch rainbow spiraled into the air. The Acton was fairly steady with fish from 10 to 18 inches hitting dries along the edges of logs. Lost a lot of flies with fish wrapping around submerged wood. Great action for another two hours, many of the rainbows leapt out of the water and hit the flies on the way down. Well like all good things the wind changed about 3 o’clock and 46 fish later opening up our special bay to the chop. The action stopped.

We decided on shore lunch and after some searching found a great little spot to land on one of the small islands. The undergrowth was soaked and it was hard to find dry wood for a fire. What we could find was damp. The smell of wet pine was perfume. I found some dry stuff under a log and in no time brother in law and I where enjoying a small fire. Out came the bacon and beans, coffee and bread and we where in heaven. Under the pines we where protected from the steady drizzle and kicking wind whistling through the branches. Kicking back and staring out over the lake life was great. A loon that we had spied through the day was calling trying to locate it’s mate. We decided on that note to pack up and head er back to the dock. The day had been good and the fish cooperative.

oyama10.jpg

oyama11.jpg

oyama12.jpg

oyama15.jpg

oyama16.jpg

oyama17.jpg

oyama19.jpg

oyama23.jpg

Great post SilverDoctor....Man did that bring back some fond memories :) ....It has been many years since I was last at Oyama with my buddy richmia from the board and a couple of friends who live in the Kelowna area....from what I remember the road in was just a truck or 4 wheel drive trail, that was quite steep and very rough, but man what a view of the valley below....now I will have to go dig up the old pic's....thanks for sharing.

Super pics...Looks like a nice Rainbow in the first picture....But the rod tip seems to be going in the wrong direction of the Bow???...Cool pic..Almost looks the rainbow came up for a picture while you were fishing... :blink: ...Thanx for sharing...

Cheers...Jeff..

Super pics...Looks like a nice Rainbow in the first picture....But the rod tip seems to be going in the wrong direction of the Bow???...Cool pic..Almost looks the rainbow came up for a picture while you were fishing... :blink: ...Thanx for sharing...

Cheers...Jeff..

Lilly pads in the lake where about two feet under the water, the growth hadn't reached the surface yet. The trout kept ripping through pad stems, he sure was mad.

Wow, I did not think living in Alberta that anybody would know of Oyama. I lived in Oyama for sevreal years before moving here.Just hearing the name brings back great memories!!! Definately beautiful country.

I didn't know you used to live there...We will have to sit down over a coffee or beer and chat about it...

Sorry Doc, for the Hi-jak...

Cheers...Jeff..

I will be heading back that way near the end of July for a well needed holiday. I may have to take a trip up that way to Oyama lake and check it out. Did you go into the hills at Winfield at all to Beaver Lake. I think you can drive right across from Beaver Lake to Oyama Lake, with truck and chainsaw of course!!!!

You should have a 4x4 to go up to oyama.

The road to Oyama was surprisingly good. Didn't need to have the truck in 4x4. Guys where hauling trailers and motor homes up there. It's good gravel most of the way with a few stretches of potholes that you can weave yourself around.