Fly Fusion Forums

Best Six Weight Reel?

onthefly7

What is the best fully-machined, center drag, reasonably lightweight, mid or large arbor fly reel near 100 dollars?

Does such a reel exist??? I'd appreciate some recommendations.

otf7,

I made a similar inquiry to the board a few months ago and here's what I got:

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?showtopic=3872

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Peter

OTF7,

Whatever you decide, I would highly recommend getting it, and anything else you may need, in Houston as opposed to here. You'll get way better prices there.

Edit: Sorry Calgary Fly Shop Owners, but he'll buy lots of stuff here too!!

What is the best fully-machined, center drag, reasonably lightweight, mid or large arbor fly reel near 100 dollars?

Between this Board, other Boards, online clearouts and the local fly shops, you've got to be able to find a nice used/demo reel that will be in around your price range. With all the gear being turned over, there has to be something out there that will fit your needs and budget. One half of my reels and all of my rods have either come from Boards, clearouts at local fly shops, online clearance shops (ie. Sierra Trading Post) or tradenstuff. You really don't need to pay full retail if you are prepared to spend a little research time.

Good luck either way.

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Go to Ebay fly fishing and search with 7/8, 5/6 & 3/4, this should turn up a source in Hong Kong that sells unbadged excellent reels. The starting price UK is 99p with £24.18 P&P. I have a Bloke 5/6 KPXX which retails at £160 UK, the same reel unbadged can be had for £25 inc P&P! I have 3 of the Hong Kong ones now and they are excellent in the 5/6 weight. A mate brought the same reel back from fishing in Chile and it cost him $100 US, if only he had known!

TLs

PS delivery is within 2 weeks of purchase.

Go to Ebay fly fishing and search with 7/8, 5/6 & 3/4, this should turn up a source in Hong Kong that sells unbadged excellent reels. The starting price UK is 99p with £24.18 P&P. I have a Bloke 5/6 KPXX which retails at £160 UK, the same reel unbadged can be had for £25 inc P&P! I have 3 of the Hong Kong ones now and they are excellent in the 5/6 weight. A mate brought the same reel back from fishing in Chile and it cost him $100 US, if only he had known!

TLs

PS delivery is within 2 weeks of purchase.

That last post of mine was pure genius.... :unsure: Sorry. albannachxcuileag - what drag system does that HK reel have? I saw those reels on eBay, but easy to overlook in favour of the "badged" reels. Thanks for the information.

Mike.

That last post of mine was pure genius.... :unsure: Sorry. albannachxcuileag - what drag system does that HK reel have? I saw those reels on eBay, but easy to overlook in favour of the "badged" reels. Thanks for the information.

Mike.

The drag system is Rulon discs, able to tune from a 1/4lb brown to a truck stopping line breaking solid stop! I have found it excellent on lake fishing especially when something is taking me out to the backing as I normally hand line for sensitivity but this reel has great control and sensitivity on the drag, for that price you are not buying a pig in a poke but a good quality reel for the price. If the 'named makers' can bump this up to over $100 - $200 with a badge on it then the quality is there in the first place. I received one with a bit of epoxy on the back but I was not complaining as I know how good they are in the first place and not being a 'tackle tart' it suits me fine.

Being somewhat of a "Magpie" myself I have found that over the years it is natural to collect some very Shiny reels. But what I fish with is often very different...Now that Snowbee has released the new cassett Spey reel I will in all likelihood use One of them for my go to reel...and they also released the new XSD460 Trout version,SAME drag but smaller of course. This will also be my go to reel for many situations. The point is that the 460 retails for $110 with an extra spool...has a drag system ,composed of a series of Broflon discs that will handle any fish we can imagine;and not fail! This same reel in the larger size(XSD780),in 2007 won the best reel in category in Europe/UK...it's not about being pretty;it's about function!

The bodies are a cast Aluminum and the cartridges are a composite,Saltwater resistant and very maintanence friendly..

and here in Canada

C