Fly Fusion Forums

Guide For Float Trip?

mkonnert

This is my first post, so please forgive me if I'm infringing any rules or traditions. This summer my wife and I and another couple are looking to do our first float trip on the Bow. The guys are experienced fly fishers (though we have never floated the Bow), the women--not so much. I would be interested in hearing peoples' experiences with the local outfits that provide guided float trips. As far as I can tell, the prices all seem about the same, but are there compelling reasons to go with one outfit over another, keeping in mind that at least for the women, we want someone can also be a bit of teacher as well as a guide?

Try Dee at Trout Chasers River Company. One of the best, and most experienced on the Bow.

I fished with Dee my first fly fishing trip on the Bow. I really enjoyed his company.

Also, if noone has mentioned young Maxwell, let me be the first. He will teach you how to catch fish on the bow.

Edit: OK, the second to mention Maxwell.

Another excellent guide is Barry White; I have used him in the past and they were first rate experiences and learning opportunities; everything from casting to entomology and last but not least he is a great entertainer as well.

I use float trips as my client development activities (instead of golf, which just makes everyone feel bad about themselves) - I've been able to take my own clients on somewhere around 50 or so guided trips on the Bow over the past 3 years. There are lots of great guides around the city. I have had lots of success with many of the guys at Fish Tales. Terry Johnston and Steve Mason are my go-to guys there for clients of mine ranging from experts to beginners, men and women alike. Both are extremely personable, excellent teachers and WILL put you over fish and put everyone in a position to catch fish.