Fly Fusion Forums

My First Mouse

Guest bigbadbrent

Guest bigbadbrent

Can't wait to go fish 'Mickey'

Hook: Daiichi 2720 1/0. "STINGER" hook

Tail: Cross cut rabbit, trimmed. (shoulda made it longer)

Body: Deer hair, and more deer hair

Whiskers: Moose

IMG_3991.jpg

man o man, i cannot wait for the summer..its killin me

I have also been SPINNING a lot on the vice the past few evenings. Bow River buggers, and tonite I start some hoppers ( whitlock style). The spinning hair is messy I tell ya. But, they are great flies.

Got about 200 done this winter of various patterns so another 100 would be a good goal.

Guest bigbadbrent

Anyone that can spin hair around rubber legs (Turks Tarantula) and make it come out good, i am forever jealous. Even if i end up doing a great spin, i usually end up cutting off at least one of the legs.

I decided i'm gonna finish off all my hooks i have, before i go buy some more. So lots of dry flies left to tie.

Honestly granny, it's not that hard if you try it lots. Do it on a blank shaft, and use a bic pen to compress it backwards..

Having a wood floor sucks for spinning hair, there is hair EVERYWHERE

Honestly granny, it's not that hard if you try it lots. Do it on a blank shaft, and use a bic pen to compress it backwards..

Oh, I'll get it. My dad tagged a nice buck this year, so I've got plenty to practice with, and no shortage of foul language either, that might help. :D

The wedge shape is more or less what you are looking for. When you fish it on a sinking tip line, you do a quick strip and rest retrieve and the low profile front end digs into the water and it splashes up over the rest of the mouse. Makes lots of noise, which is what you want. Good shape, it will work well for you I would think!

Slower pools on meadows (with vegetation right to the bank)... pulled across stream like a vole trying to cross.

Also, we caught quite a few Northern water shrews along bull trout streams when I was helping forestry research in the Pass. I think they have a very high metabolism (which may be why we found them dead sometimes), and they have to eat alot... that means they are in the water quite a bit.

http://www.aquatic.uoguelph.ca/mammals/fre...ounts/shrew.htm

badge.jpg

Image from: http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site..._palustris.html

Of course, like mentioned on this forum before... mice used to be used as bait for Bulls. :unsure:

I was in a store today and they had a fly fishing show on (the one with the guy that kinda looks like the Crocodile hunter) and he was fishing a mouse pulled across the top of the water....reminded me of bass fishing, but he got bullies of all sized in slow water and in faster water....I guess I'd better learn to spin deer hair a bit better!!