Fly Fusion Forums

Free Alberta CAF Veterans Resident Sportfishing Licence - How to void your Auto Renewal Resident Sportfishing Licence

As a veteran, I was pleased to find out about the free Alberta CAF Veteran Resident Sportfishing License. I  thought because we now have a digital WIN card and a digital License it would be easy to get a refund for my Resident Sportfishing License purchased through their auto renewal program.  Unfortunately there are a few hoops you have to jump through first in order to get your free AB Veterans Sportfishing License.

If like me,  you were on the auto renewal system and you’re a Veteran, after contacting the Alberta Fish & Wildlife district office, the following is what you have to do:

1. Print out your digital Resident Sportfishing License
  2. Take the license to your local AB Fish and Wildlife office and fill out the form for voiding a license

(The Admin office will then send the form and printed license  to AB Licensing who will process your refund))

1. Once the void and refund is complete you can then go online to purchase your AB CAF Veteran Resident Sportfishing License.
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have been through this and just to add a bit and clarify, one does not "purchase" the AB Resident Veteran's license. From the webpage one must enter the preferred military identication (spelled out in the regs).

Hard lesson, I entered my CF1 card first hoping to follow with the ND75 but upon entering the first number the system cut me loose. My AB Resident Veteran's Fishing license is now my CF1 card.

Why is this a drag? Because the CF1 card is not visible on the phone app. The phone app is now blank. (I have been refunded my license fee of $29.40) This means a veteran must carry photo id and the CF1 card when fishing. The app is rendered useless for a veteran. Too bad because the digital provincial license was a very smart idea. Carrying a phone is a good idea for a bunch of reasons, and it used to be all I carried. Now I need a couple of cards in addition.

Further, the regulations for AB state a WIN card is not required for under 16 over 65, but it makes no statement for a veteran.

I was one of the campaigners for this benefit to veterans and I am most pleased it has come through for all of us. However, it is a bit of a SNAFU and in my opinion not really fit for purpose.

After I received my refund, I entered my CAF ID and then I  had to go to the purchase page on the website and place the CAF Veterans Resident Sportfishing License into the cart and checkout. Even though the dollar amount is zero they still need the completed transaction in order to have the license show up in the APP. Yes you do need to have your veterans ID with you when you fish but you probably should carry ID with you anyway in case your phone or you fall in the water.

• 1 month later...

I was checked by a Conservation Officer in late April and he just looked at my CF1 Card and my AB Driver's Licence. Neither where in his QR code hand held device. We discussed the situation a bit and he says First Nations Status Cards are not in the system either. He simply looks at the photo and that is it, and he says it has been that way for years. He's an intelligent chap, I have been checked by him 3 times in the past 5 years and he just rolls with it. So now I carry my AB DL and the CF1 card. No big deal.

• 2 months later...
On 6/19/2023 at 11:19 AM, FishnChips said:

I was checked by a Conservation Officer in late April and he just looked at my CF1 Card and my AB Driver's Licence. Neither where in his QR code hand held device. We discussed the situation a bit and he says First Nations Status Cards are not in the system either. He simply looks at the photo and that is it, and he says it has been that way for years. He's an intelligent chap, I have been checked by him 3 times in the past 5 years and he just rolls with it. So now I carry my AB DL and the CF1 card. No big deal.

Do you know if this is valid for family of veterans. I have my cf1 card and just got my fishing license last week.  The lady at Canadian Tire in Edmonton did not even know what the CF1 card was.  Nor did she look into it at all. She just charged me and that was the end of it. She did not want to hear it was a military veterans card.

Suzizewhoq,

Canadian Tire offers no consideration for any type of military veteran or first responder or police.

The CF 1 card is not valid for a family of veterans. One must use the CF1 page and register each member of your family such as spouse. I am not sure if children are eligible but I do believe they are.

The CF1 card will not work at Canadian Tire for a fishing license - no retailers know about the licensing arrangement as that is provided by the Province of Alberta. Therefore, as partially explained above, one must register one's proof of service with the designated provincial provider, called AlbertaRelm. https://www.albertarelm.com/  THIS is where one registers their military proof of service and so far there are only two cards accepted, the CF1 card or the NDI 75 Record of Service. 

Then, when fishing one must carry two pieces of ID, the CF1 or the NDI 75, PLUS another form of photographic government issued ID such as an AB Driver's License. 

I hope this helps. I tried very hard to get Alberta Relm to understand how poorly they had performed in this matter. (Politely of course and patiently - one must after all be patient with those types of folks) I also contacted the government of AB and they indicated a willingness to listen to what I reported about the defincies. That person must have got *hit-on by their boss because all correspondence stopped qucker than you can say "fish on!" and that was it. Remeber your time in the serice? The Government NEVER admits mistakes and it NEVER apologises. Good luck and tight lines.