Fly Fusion Forums

Dream day of freshwater fishing..,which 3 rods/reels to bring?

BowLurker

Hey folks,

Let's say you only had a couple days to pack, and had maybe 6hrs on a Private prime, freshwater location, some deep pockets, but rapids too and riffles with calm sections.  

Anything under 6W is not an option, ( they're big ) and I have a couple 'go-to' rod/reel/line sets I'm thinking of. Lots of casting distance might be/will be required. (switch? )

Very spooky population of larger fish, and it's my first time there.

It's going to be an adventure, but amazing.

Thanks for any input.

Maybe only 2-3 lbs, but maybe up to 6 or 8 depending on the runs.

I chose two rods for the first visit, and had completely the wrong rods/lines! :lol: Shoot..oh well, always learning.

When I get back for the last visit of this season, I will have the heavier, longer setups for sure, as the water was much wider/deeper than I thought.

I would go with a good 6wt and a reel with a smooth drag.  A 7wt or even an 8wt might be better for the larger fish, but if the fish are spooky it can be harder (at least for me) to fish the heavier weights with finesse, and then too you have to ask can you fish a heavier tippet to really take advantage of the extra power?