Fly Fusion Forums

Water Temperatures

We are conducting a Citizens Science project to collect daily Water Temperature data from our rivers. If you are out fishing in the ES1 or ES2 Zone, in the next 10 days, please take a water temperature reading and send it to me via forum message or email to: gregats@live.com. Please include your Name, Water Temperature, Name of stream/river/creek with a general location and date/time of day. Spread the word to all of your fishing friends so that we can record as much of this valuable data as possible. Your cooperation and contributions will be greatly appreciated. 

Greg Allard

• Like 2

Forgot to mention that you can also post your water temperature readings here as well. Ultimately, the goals of any Citizens Science project is to foster community engagement, so get involved, dip your thermometers and send us your data.

• Like 1

I was out last week. Livingstone was 48 at 0930 and 55 at 1500 on the 18th. Everything else I measured was similar. The restrictions on the Bow make sense, and they're probably a day late and a dollar short on the St Mary's, but taking a single datum from the lower Bow and extrapolating it to the entire eastern slopes is absurd.

That said, they got moody once the heat of the day really kicked in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A primary goal of any Citizen Science project is, and should be, getting the community involved in Conservation through participation.The results of our Survey will be useful in future community engagement with Fisheries managers to foster the best policy decisions, in the best interests of our fisheries and fishing community. Data will be shared publicly and with any other organizations who have an interest. We might bring this data to the Scientists for examination including Fisheries biologists, Hydrologists, Academics and see what trends or anomalies they may find and why. It may point to area's that need further investigation. We're excited to find out!

• Thanks 1

Thanks again to everyone for their ongoing contributions to our Citizens Science Water Temperature Survey. I am making an urgent appeal to anglers who are fishing the Bow river in the Cochrane and Canmore area's over the next week, to take water temperature readings and send them to me, or post their results here on this post. The early data from our Survey has yielded some surprising and important results, which is directing some areas of our investigation and data collection. Spread the word and get involved. We need temperature data from all of the flowing waters in the ES1 Zone. Your participation and effort is vital and greatly appreciated.

Greg

• Thanks 1