Fly Fusion Forums

Winter Midge Patterns

bulltrout

i know we've done this topic before in the old FFA forum but i wanna hit it again as it is that time of year where they are pretty much the only thing going on for the fishes...patterns in by Sunday, January 13 by 9:00 PM please...

before we get going, i want to straighten a few things out as there have been some kuffuffles as of late...from here on out, these rules apply to all "contests" unless otherwise specified...

1) NO previously tied flies (and yes i will be checking EXIF data on entries - make sure your camera's date is set to the right day ;) ...it's not fair for those who try to tie something up by the deadline to go against an archived image)...

2) functionality rather than looks counts (pretty flies can be found at the fly shops...i wanna see patterns that novices can tie and have work for them)...

3) try not to make these fun little challenges into pissing matches...the sole purpose of these "contests" is to inform, not for bragging rights...bragging rights come at the end of the season KOTV tourney...

4) please post fly recipes along with the photo...

i'm not trying to be prickish, i just want these things to run smoothly and have everyone have a chance to post their patterns and maybe pick up a few new ones...thanks again for all those that have participated so far and i look forward to seeing some more cool stuff....:)

Simple Thread Midge

IMGP1506.jpg

Hook: TMC 2487BL #14-20

Thread: 6/0 (Color to suit...I use black, black and white (white thread rib), dark red, and as pictured, fluorescent red)

*Tying Note : coat all the thread with a coat of Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails...

Blue Midge

Pattern

hook - daiichi 1130 size 18

thread black or blue 17/0 (i think)

beadhead - black 5/64"

body - clear micro tubing (larva lace or liquid lace will work also), flashabou mirage 3063 (pinky/purpley bluish pearl tinsel) & blue flashabou tinsle (extra limp)

bluemidge2.jpg

Thought I might take a shot.

Hook - TMC 2457 # 16>20

Body - Embrodery thread - one strand - wrapped with 0.010 copper wire

Head - 1 strand of lousy peacock herl loop wrapped.

Thread - Danvilles 6/0

Notes:

1] Embroderiey thread is multi strand - use only one strand - color is DMC 25

2] Right picture is the same bug wet. Notice how it darkens to look like the millions of midges

catch ya'

Don

post-206-1199745421.jpg

This looks like a tough crowd to compete with, but here goes anyway. Andy, I posted a picture of this fly on the FFAlberta forum last year (not in a tying competition -- actually I won that one with a midge emerger), but I tied this one up today and the picture was taken today. I hope that makes my entry legit. The design is mine. I used it last spring and it actually caught fish. Terry

0899.jpg

Starling Midge Recipe:

Hook: TMC 2487, #16 - #20

Thread: 8/0 Black

Rib: Extra fine silver wire

Collar: white ostrich herl

Soft hackle: starling

Cause I couldn't enter my Candied midge from the christmas flies challenge I found this one. Its different, really it is.

My adaptation of a Rojo Midge:

2179215179_afff4c8290.jpg

Hook: Tiemco 2487 #16

Thread: Red 8/0

Gills: White Calf body

Head: Green bead, Bright green peacock herl

Body: Red Midge floss, Red 30 AWG ceramic coated wire wrapped opposite the floss