Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Fly Fishing Guide Podcast - Getting a friend into fly fishing, with Charlie Berens and Adam Gruel

Orvis

This week’s podcast is fun to listen to, even if you don’t need any tips on how to get a friend into fly fishing. Charlie Berens is a talented writer comedian with a midwestern flair (check out his You Tube videos) and Adam Greul is a musician with the band “Horseshoes and Hand Grenades” and also has a number of solo albums. Adam recently introduced Charlie to fly fishing and their experiences are both valuable and funny [42:20].

As a bonus, we’ve included a song they did together at the end of the podcast.

In The Fly Box this week, we have some great questions and tips from listeners, including:

Sometimes I see trout from a bridge, other times I don’t. Is this unusual and why?

What is the difference between a $100 fly rod and a $1000 fly rod?

A suggestion on how to arrange your flies and droppers to lessen tangles

A suggestion on how to instill better etiquette on our waters I keep losing fish once they are hooked.

Do I need a better hook-setting strategy?

A great suggestion from a listener on how to tie a weedless bass fly—and techniques for fishing it.

If you find nothing is working for you on a trout stream, what do you do?

What is the best way to fish plunge pools on small streams?

What is the difference between a slow rejection to a fly and a splashy one, and what can I do when a trout rejects my fly?

View the full article