Fly Fusion Forums

Pike Fishing the North Eastern Alberta

lad

Spent some time today talking with a friend about fishing North and east of Ft. Chipewyan. I think it was Mikisew sport fishing or a similar name  that used to fly people in for unguided or self directed  fishing. They supplied the boats, cabin, fuel etc. Was wondering if anyone on here fished the area or had any pictures of the cabins on any of the lakes. I would think the cabins are still around. Would be a great trip to a fairly untouched area as there are many lakes with poor access. Float plane would be the norm.

I fished with a group ( 6 - 8, depending 9n the lake ) several lakes operated at the time by Mikisew Sports Fishing, a” business” entity of the local Ft. Chip band, I think….

That was many years back, 10+, and I know they( ??) shut down that entire operation. So I would suggest that you contact the band office at Ft Chip and find out if/when/how you can access the surrounding lakes. 
PM me if you want more details….

Pete

• Like 1

I went to Burstall Lake with them several years ago. I don't have any pictures of the cabin, but imagine a super basic cabin made of studs and plywood. There was a living room type area with a couple basic chairs, a kitchen with a fridge, stove, and dishes, then three bedroom areas with just a doorway entrance but no door, each one had a set of plywood bunks.

The fishing was quite good, lots of 3-6 lb lakers and pike up to 10 lbs with a few up to 20.

• Like 1

Visited Colin Lake, Pots Lake and Charles Lake North with them. Loved the do it yourself style trips and wish they were still in business. First two trips were to cabins with everything run off propane. Last trip was after they had converted over to solar panels and basic electricity for certain things. Can’t remember for sure but I believe it powered lights and the fridge. I think I remember him telling me they had converted most over but can’t say with certainty. Will have to look through old pics to see what I have. Like the last post said the cabins were fairly rustic by comfortable and had everything you needed to be comfortable. 

On 4/21/2022 at 8:51 AM, jayanderson said:

From what I've heard through many a conversation with a lot of fisherman over the years, just go to Saskatchewan! Piles of DIY options as there is 1000x more lakes, both fly in and drive in. Just look Slims cabins out of Sandy Bay.

Northern Saskatchewan is a nice place to fish or hunt for sure. I would just like to fish lakes that have less pressure than Slims cabins. Not interested in any places that do have roads into them and the ones i am interested in have little to no traffic. Was thinking of flying in and using the cabins, that is why i was interested in pics of cabins. No way to get to the lakes in the summer other than walking or flying.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 10:01 AM, lad said:

Northern Saskatchewan is a nice place to fish or hunt for sure. I would just like to fish lakes that have less pressure than Slims cabins. Not interested in any places that do have roads into them and the ones i am interested in have little to no traffic. Was thinking of flying in and using the cabins, that is why i was interested in pics of cabins. No way to get to the lakes in the summer other than walking or flying.

Look into driving to Southend on Reindeer Lake and charter a flight out of there. 

• Like 1