Fly Fusion Forums

catch and release science Steven Cooke

I'm not sure if this has been posted before.  I did a search and didn't find anything. My apologies if it has been.  Some interesting stuff on catch and release.  I never really thought about net material as a factor in catch release until watching this video.  A lot of people advocate for barbless hooks.  It seems like no fish out of water pictures would be a more effective regulation for most species.

• Like 3

A comprehensive assessment of more than 100 C&R studies, and yet no mention of any increase in C&R mortality due to the "Cumulative effects" of repeat capture and release, which is the narrative (without evidence), that AEP keeps trying to sell us.

• Like 2

But then you don't have to put pressure on industry or OHV to stop dumping contaminants, destroying habitat, causing excessive sediment loading, leaving hanging culverts, compaction of substrates, or removing giant volumes of water for irrigation.

• Like 1

But it should be noted that many of us have witnessed incredibly poor fish handling skills. I have seen folks fight 18" trout for over 10 minutes, then drag them out of the water and set up for a measure, and photograph them. Those fish are dead!

So, put some pressure on your fish, use as strong a tippet as you can get away with and get them into shore.  Most trout in the Bow can be landed in under 2 minutes if you put the boots to them. Try to minimize air exposure to under 10 seconds. We can all do better.

There are tons of anglers these days. Lets be willing to learn and accept some constructive criticism. Hopefully we can lessen our impact when so many other stressors are getting worse.

• Like 1