Fly Fusion Forums

Fly box

What do most suggest for a fly box to hold mostly #chironomid patterns when fishing from a small boat or pontoon? Thanks

I have a lot. And it's a pain carrying a bunch of smaller ones. 

Edited 1 hour ago by Birddog

SF-352. We have them in stock right now. Haha, not trying to be a salesman here, but it is a slim profile, about the size of a sheet of paper (8x11) and holds a ton of flies. 

It's not a 'double-sided' style of box and easily fits in a sling pack or boat bag.

As much as I am not wild on the box stores, Cabelas has a black folding flybox with a middle insert that gives a total of 4 panels. The large holds 900 flies. It's the "SwingLeaf" fly box that I'm talking about.

I have a couple of them and I like them for chrono flies but I'm finding that they aren't quite deep enough for dry flies on both sides, it pushes down the tops of the flies and kind of flattens them out. Get the flies wet and they do come back up but I will be using my old fly boxes for the dry flies.

For the past several years, I’ve been working hard at becoming a “minimalist” in the gear I carry around. For Chironomids, of which I’ve got a ton after tying them for over 40 years, I’ve gone to having 4 boxes, clear plastic with 12 compartments each that easily hold 4-6 of those tiny little critters in each compartment. Perfect fit in my vest or pontoon boat/belly boat.y That gives me 12 patterns per box, and one box for each of sizes 12-14-16-18, that’s close to 200 flies and I figure if I can’t catch a fish with that assortment, I need to ……

Try local shops first and if not, I know that the big box store in town has some of that type of boxes