Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Fly Fishing Guide Podcast - The Native Fish Coalition, with Bob Mallard

Orvis

This week, my guest if the executive director of the Native Fish Coalition, Bob Mallard [42:09], who tells us why the organization was formed and what they do. His group took issue with some of the sentiments expressed in last week's podcast with Kirk Deeter, so to give everyone a broader view of the issue of wild native fish (as opposed to just wild fish, and Bob explains the difference in the podcast) I invited Bob to come onto the podcast to explain to us just how precious native or indigenous species are. There is much food for thought here and I hope it makes everyone think about the issues involved.

In the Fly Box this week, we have the usual roundup of interesting and sometimes tricky questions, and some great tips from listeners, including:

How even native black bass in the South are threatened by stocking of non-native varieties

Why doesn't the Orvis Learning Center talk about the spiritual value and nature of fly fishing?

What is the best all-around color for polarized sunglasses?

What's up with bead heads? Insects don't have metal heads.

A great tip from a listener on how to apply eyes to minnow patterns without getting your fingers stuck together with Super Glue.

How can I straighten a bunch of old saddle hackles that have a kink in them?

How do you deal with negative attitudes you hear spouted on the water?

A tip from a listener on how to magnetize or demagnetize a pair of forceps or a dubbing needle.

What fly-tying material does Tom feel is underutilized?

A comment from a listener on how something said on a podcast had a big influence on him regarding the "hero shot".

Why am I only catching whitefish, and do people like catching them?

Why haven't we tried restocking aquatic insects in rivers where they have become scarce?

What is Tom's favorite non-fish wildlife encounter on the river?

View the full article