Fly Fusion Forums

Do you want another Quality Trout Fishery in Southern Alberta?

monger

Part of Zoom meeting with Southern AB fish biologists tonight. 

One thing that was of interest for us was the plan for Pine Coulee Res by Stavely. Biologist said the plan is to let the pike and walleye fishery continue to degrade to the benefit of the trout. The biologist sounds open to making it a Quality Fishery, but it depends on the public desires. The regulations need to be changed to open only Apr1-Oct 31, limit 1 over 50cm and NO bait.
You can express your views here:

I asked if there were any plans for additional quality lakes......No was the answer.
So if you want to catch bigger trout, let the government know
  • Like 2

Monger; My answer is Yes  .We need more , QSF.When you look at the the,popularity now of Beaver,Police.The loss of Bullshaed ,Cavan,Dipping Vat.Then if you factor in the perch invested trout lakes [6] in the RMH area alone.There ideaology is that once,perch have been infested in a trout lake.They no lnger stock trout into the waterbody..

• Like 1

You forgot a couple Brian, Heninger and Phillips.

I answered yes as well even though I think they should change the retention size to a limited slot size or even managed more like the walleye special harvest lakes.

Monger; As long as they choose to allow ice fishing,in a QSF.IMO you'll never see it.The popularity is so great,to catch a fish over 6" is enormous..Pine coullee,is an example.I'll use.There was a tremendous burbot fishing there.Popularity ,over limits has diminished there catch.As long as trout are susceptable,to walleye & pike .Trout 6-12" are lunch ,for these predators.Pine Coulee is doomed to slow death,as a mediocre fishery

Police; for now has survived a few winters .Allowing the fish to grow too what there potential,of there strains .Were developed to achieve.Also having no access,during typical ice on seasons,has created this fishery.Thankfully a c&r of a fish less than 50cm MUST BE released.  When have you ever seen the campground at Police.Fully booked !!

I don't think there is much for walleye reproduction at Pine Coulee. The walleye didn't appear to get much over 16" there. Therefore the walleye population should disappear with angling and old age. The lack of whitefish has limited the pike size as well. I don't know what the percentage of trout stocked make it to a size that makes them unattractive to the pike, or maybe there is just some trout that learn to hide well enough. Perhaps the trout stocking numbers need to be increased a bit to allow more trout to evade the pike. No bait or ice fishing would help more trout make to 3 years old as well.

• Like 1

What I find curious is why the concept of build it and they will come!

if Beaver Lake was a business, the owner would make or build another instead we have Twin Lake where perhaps one fishing boat is afloat. Struble is much the same 

why does the Govt worship mediocrity?

Don

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yes Don, it seems obvious doesn't it. Police lake parking lots are full of fisherman as well. But there are still those locals who are not satisfied (though poachers like catching the big fish off the bridge at Police)

More complaints come from the put and take crowd that they need to continue to fill their freezers. Those complainers are potential UCP votes.....

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Monger!

"Very inappropriate political comment which is completely false. THINK! These comments do not belong in this forum."

The Alberta government makes the fisheries policy decisions and are subject to public criticism. Censorship does not belong in this forum.

• Like 1

Last time I checked I could still think. There is a significant amount of folks who are against catch and release/trophy trout stillwaters. That's why so many folks have to travel out of province to catch big trout. Pretty disappointing.

Low stocking rates actually save money for the province, and lead to big fish if you don't put them in a freezer.

Instead they just pour 500,000 little trout into Payne (and a great number of other put and take lakes) so they can be vacuumed up each year. Stocking reports are available for all to see

• Like 1

Monger!

Keep the political comments attacking voters who support one political party out of the conversation!

Yes, it's become increasing difficult to consistently catch larger trout in the province and better fish management techniques definitely need to be implemented.

Let's focus making our fisheries better by working together.

Best regards,

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 12:40 PM, toolman said:

Monger!

"Very inappropriate political comment which is completely false. THINK! These comments do not belong in this forum."

The Alberta government makes the fisheries policy decisions and are subject to public criticism. Censorship does not belong in this forum.

Yes, the Government of Alberta makes the policy decisions with respect to fisheries policy(ies). Specifically targeting and blaming a group of voters is inappropriate in this forum. Double standards reign supreme!

• Like 1