Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Fly Fishing Guide Podcast - A Sportsman's Life: Guides Remember Leigh Perkins

Orvis

Leigh H. Perkins, or LHP as he was known, was the driving force behind Orvis from 1965 into the 1990s and was a legendary marketing and outdoorsman. He passed away this summer and I wanted to interview some of his favorite guides and fishing buddies to give people a sense of what he was really like in the field [47:52]. He was fearless, always cheerful, and never had a bad day of fishing no matter what the conditions--a lesson for all of us. I hope you'll enjoy LHP stories from John Kowalski, Lori-Ann Murphy, and Rick Ruoff.

In the Fly Box this week, we have some great questions, including:

Which kind of poly leader should I get?

How do I keep my hands warm when fly-fishing in the winter?

A new fly fisher shares stories of rudeness and kindness on the water

I have been fishing a variety of fly patterns on a North Georgia stream, all in size 14, and can't catch any fish. What am I doing wrong?

If I am catching whitefish and suckers, am I fishing in the right place? How do I sort out the trout from the whitefish and suckers?

Why are the trout that used to eat my black Woolly Bugger still striking at it but not connecting?

Can I fish tenkara-style with a standard fly rod?

Does Tom have any questions for the listeners?

Are species-specific fly lines any good or is it just marketing? I have some hooks that are marked as 2X long with a 2X extended gap. Aren't these just hooks that are one size larger?

View the full article