Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing Tips and Tricks This Summer

Getting started with fly fishing can be quite challenging, but once you get the hang of it, the fun is endless! When I first started fly fishing, my older brother taught me a bunch of the ins and outs. These tips and tricks made my life a whole lot easier, and I was able to catch fish almost every time out on the water. Since all of us aren’t as fortunate with having an experienced fly fisherman out with us on every trip, I thought it would be great to write an article with some of the simple tips and tricks to help you land more fish in your net.  

OK, here we go... (fortune favours the brave and all that). I believe it is more important to buy the best quality fly line you can afford. The rod and the reel, not so much all things considered.

• Like 2

A net. I forgot to take my net while wading last week and I lost two flies because of it. The fish were right at my feet and I was reaching down to grab them to remove the hook, the fish shook their heads and snapped the leader/Tippet with the tight line and rod. I hate to know there are fish out there with body jewelry when I could've done something different to prevent it. I feel it's one of the most overlooked items for a fisherman. Glad to see it included.

• Like 3

I've been using SA's new "Absolute Clear" and have been impressed by the strength of their 4x tippet.

Landed many >20" cuttbows since opening day without breaking off any, until I lost a battle this past week with one that was too big (23+") for my net (17" opening). Probably could have avoided the break-off if I hadn't been too quick to bring a hot fish in close.

Absolutely awesome tippet!

• Like 2

I have been using 6lb Maxima for dry fly fishing for years. Stuff never breaks and still fits in the eye of the #18 scud hooks I use for little dries. I don't nymph in rivers, but I do bobber fish in lakes a lot and do lots of streamer fishing. I have been using Seaguar Invizix fluorocarbon (10, 12lb) for a number of years and it is fantastic stuff. I am a firm believer is using as heavy a tippet as possible so that you can put tons of pressure on fish to get them in quickly. I don't use a net, but good quality, strong tippet allows to bring fish to hand quickly.

• Like 3

The more I fish, the more I’m enjoying the slower than normal actions. My favorite rock own at the moment is an Orvis Clearwater 3w. Next is a toss up between my dads old Fenwick fiberglass that built in the early 80’s maybe, and a 4w medium action that he built.

• Like 1

Fast action rods will certainly give you more distance and power, softer action more control, precise fly placement. I like a faster action for big streamer work and throwing big bugs like hair frogs for bass. On the other hand all my Dry fly rods are softer action.

I only have 4 rods so they are all do everything's. I have a 3w, 4w, 5w, and 6w. The 5w is a TFO Left Signature series 1 and it's fairly stiff. Definitely a medium fast. But the other 3 are mediums at best.

I'm not good enough to know that one rod is better for nymphing and one is better for dries, etc. I just go out and cast, lol

I know this is a bit 'woo', but remember to slow down a bit, and have fun! 

Sometimes I find myself wondering in the car ride home 'why didn't I bring my 6W glass' or 'why didn't I bend my rod this way' even though I actually caught, netted and lost fish that outing. Having the extra time to simply get out there is always a plus.

Enjoy the water, smile at the creatures and marvel when you get that fly exactly where you wanted it. Flip all cormorants the big middle finger.. I did it this morning, and it felt good! :lol:

Tight lines, and invest in a stream thermometer!

PS- Oh, and this little guy was almost nipping at my heels as I cast in front of his home this morning. :D

mink.jpg.b9110f7a62d374d2022ef38a5b801b17.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/25/2021 at 3:27 PM, monger said:

I have been using 6lb Maxima for dry fly fishing for years. Stuff never breaks and still fits in the eye of the #18 scud hooks I use for little dries. I don't nymph in rivers, but I do bobber fish in lakes a lot and do lots of streamer fishing. I have been using Seaguar Invizix fluorocarbon (10, 12lb) for a number of years and it is fantastic stuff. I am a firm believer is using as heavy a tippet as possible so that you can put tons of pressure on fish to get them in quickly. I don't use a net, but good quality, strong tippet allows to bring fish to hand quickly.

Careful asking for Maxima at certain fly shops or they’ll be confused and tell you to ‘go to Bass Pro for that’. …. Ahhh experience…6 lb max and 10 lb can do 90% of the Bow.. add in 4x and you suddenly get to around 99%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcubed said:

Careful asking for Maxima at certain fly shops or they’ll be confused and tell you to ‘go to Bass Pro for that’. …. Ahhh experience…6 lb max and 10 lb can do 90% of the Bow.. add in 4x and you suddenly get to around 99%

Most Canadian Tire stores still have Maxima Chameleon and also the green line, even found the 15lb test 'clear' if one needed it.

• Like 1

Maxima is 10-15 is my go to for streamer fishing. I used it also when making my own tapered leaders but mow prefer a combination of 7x down to 1x depending on waters fished . The bow has me with 3 and 4x usually. I like Rio tippet material but have used it all.

• Like 1

Thanks for the fly shop advice bcubed. I wouldn't want to get shamed by a pro at a fly shop:bow:. Bass pro can take my cash. I don't think I have ever bought a tapered leader in 50 years of fly fishing for trout, and I still somehow have caught a couple of small fish.

Maxima breaking strength is underrated. 6lb stuff is actually about 8.5lb I think. 12lb stuff is good for streamers.

I have some 4lb Maxima stuff, but have never been forced to use it yet. Maybe with the intense angler pressure growing yearly I might have to scale down in the future.

• Haha 1