Fly Fusion Forums

What yarn for indicators?

I went to one Micheals and they had no macrame yarn. Sold out. I did pick up some regular yarn, a 50/50 acrylic wool blend. It doesn't float by itself, but with some floatant it seems to be working, at least in a glass on my counter. That may change in moving water, I'm sure. I'll still be looking for the macrame yarn when I head out though.

Has anyone tried to dye the macrame? I'm not so sure that off white will be high vis in all situations, but I do think I would still prefer it.

1 hour ago, Scottmisfits said:

I went to one Micheals and they had no macrame yarn. Sold out. I did pick up some regular yarn, a 50/50 acrylic wool blend. It doesn't float by itself, but with some floatant it seems to be working, at least in a glass on my counter. That may change in moving water, I'm sure. I'll still be looking for the macrame yarn when I head out though.

Has anyone tried to dye the macrame? I'm not so sure that off white will be high vis in all situations, but I do think I would still prefer it.

Hey Scott:

I answered your question, on the other forum, fyi. :)

Good luck!

Here is the best and easiest place to get Macrame.

https://pepperell.com/6mm-bonnie-braid-50-yards/

The material works for indicators and flies. The CFF was created using this stuff. The BM is similar. Use it instead of Elk in Elk Hair Caddis or the Mikiluk Sedge. 
Works are a post for parachutes.

I use it in pike style yarn flies. Very versatile material.

Don

• Like 1