Fly Fusion Forums

wader suggestions

Looking for some recommendations on breathable chest waders.  The last ones I got were Simm's Tributary and they leaked from day one.  Are $500 waders any better than $200 waders in terms of how long they will last before they leak?  I have a gift card from Bass Pro, so would prefer to buy the waders there.  Thanks for any information you can supply.

I've been really happy with my Redingtons for close to 3yrs now. Only issue I had was blowing out a few wear points on the neoprene heel, easily solved with green Solarez. I also bought the BPS branded waders and had success there too. Good waders don't seem like a big deal until the weather gets cold! :lol:

I've always used Simms but my last set of G3 Guides where nothing but trouble. Leak after leak. No joy for the price. Last year I tried a pair of Reddington Sonic Pro's with a front zipperand love em. The other Idea is to look for wast high waders (Wading pants). Unless you are wading chest high they are a good bet (don't wade where the fish are). Bass Pro had a good brand a couple of years back when I worked in the fly shop, Lasted 6 years.

I have the Cabela’s ones. They are my first pair and I have nothing to compare them to, other than what I see.

16 days on the water this year, close to 30 last year, no signs of anything.

I like that they have grip on the bottom of the socks. My feed tend not to move in the boot. It is the right size boot, but it reduces any movement that I can feel, even with flippers on a belly boat.

I find them comfortable, maybe a little heavy for weather like it has been, but  I don’t notice it when I get in the water anyway.

Three things I don’t like. One, the pouch is very small, on the inside, and just felt. I’d rather it be bigger and easier access. 
Two, the shoulder straps are stretchy. Everything about them it stretchy, there is no solid strapping anywhere. I get and appreciate elastic, but I think there is just to much of it.

Three, no belt loops for the wading belt.

I went with the Redington Escape waders at the beginning of the year.  I have a hard time spending too much money on waders.  I previously had the Redington entry-level waders.  The Escape is a step up from that.  4-layer lower and 3-layer upper.  Hand warmer too.  About 15 - 20 trips so far this year.  No problems yet.

• Like 1

bought the cabelas waist high ones.  first pair leaked badly, second pair leaked a bit.  both went back.

my simms experience echos lornce's,  lasted ten years, but leaked from the start.   the inside is a measles outbreak of patch material, usually required to be reaplied after two weeks for new leaks.

couldnt find the redingtons in town.

On 7/18/2021 at 7:11 AM, SilverDoctor said:

I've always used Simms but my last set of G3 Guides where nothing but trouble. Leak after leak. No joy for the price. Last year I tried a pair of Reddington Sonic Pro's with a front zipperand love em. The other Idea is to look for wast high waders (Wading pants). Unless you are wading chest high they are a good bet (don't wade where the fish are). Bass Pro had a good brand a couple of years back when I worked in the fly shop, Lasted 6 years.

Might have been an off-pair??? I've been using my G3s for over 10 years and no troubles whatsoever.

tman,

After rubber waders as a kid, hodgman neoprenes as a younger man, I finally owned two pair of Simm's breathables, at the same time. One with zipper and the other just pull up. As I age I am less and less comfortable in deeper/stronger current. I recently bought my first pair of wading pants. No zipper. Patagonia is the brand. I keep the belt loose and keep them up over my beer belly with suspenders (from Mark's). I love them. Something to consider. Good luck.

• Like 1