Fly Fusion Forums

National Parks Poachers

Just came across this channel on YouTube, two guys who claim to do survival / bush craft videos, and this one video / series takes place on a lake in Banff National Park. The lake is not mentioned but I know which lake it is. Several infractions are committed, including the use of drones, keeping of fish where it's not allowed, use of bait, probably random camping. Feel free to share the videos far and wide in order to shame these people, and if you happen to know these guys don't hesitate to tell them what useless trash they are.

Also, Parks Canada is fully aware and are investigating.

Update: Both individuals, Greg Ovens and Zachary Fowler, were contestants on season 3 of Alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB8LlILAo40&t=5517s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RZ7sKTlQrY&list=PLjSScLBAtGMgXbxPJ_cm95Md6Cl8vCTPR&index=24

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thanks Fishpro.  One of the lakes in the drone footage near the middle of the film is unmistakably a lake in Banff Park, indeed.  Trouble is that it looks like this was all spliced together over a variety of locations, and thus tough (perhaps) to say conclusively that the fishing violations occurred at that specific lake in Banff.  Hopefully Parks Canada can/will investigate and if definitive, take action.

The intelligence of filming (and identifying) oneself committing such acts is a whole other topic...

This kind of crap is bad for everyone. "Survival" not the word for this kind of stuff with long wood saws, complete fly fishing kits and so on and so forth. Any Alberta outdoorsperson with an IQ above their shoe size must be able to rank this with all-star wrestling and that kind of pseudo sport entertainment. Complete and utter garbage. And as posted above, the poaching aspect - fish and game - makes me want to hurl. I did not even watch both videos, just skipped through. I do feel bad about contributing to the "viewed" statistics... like it was a good thing. I hope these persons get busted.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...