Fly Fusion Forums

Do you wash your pheasant skins?

Hi folks, hope everyone is staying cool out there. oofdah!

I was able to purchase a full Ringneck Pheasant skin, (minus the head) and it's obviously been treated with Borax, or a similar substitute. 

There are many beautiful feathers on this skin, and I wouldn't want to wreck them by cleaning the wrong way.

I did some research, and dish soap seems to be the standard, but I would appreciate any input before I take it out of the plastic bag to start washing.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your response.

-M. 

If the feathers seem matted and dirty overall you can do a light washing with dish-soap in warm water and then lightly blow dry. Most of the time there is no need at all. If you do be prepared to re-Borax the skin, unless it is perfectly dry (non greasy to the touch). A trick is to place the skin side on paper, if there are grease spots add Borax. If you choose to keep the skins in a plastic bag keep it fully open. A paper bag is actually better if it is a new skin as it aids in drying. I will then put it in plastic. I have bought commercial skins that still needed drying. But most reputable companies do a great job and don't require more work.

I normally don't clean unless there is a need. I do occasionally steam feathers to get them back to their original shape.

Hope this helps let me know if you have other questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a bunch, El Doctor Argento (:lol:), it's a commercial skin that is still very pliable, and just a touch of oil on the skin itself. The feathers are in great shape, however, so I think I'll hold off washing until I get down closer to the skin. 

Surprised I found a high-quality skin at the 'big box store' north of Calgary... ;)

-M.

• Like 1

Little bit of OT for my topic, but it's kind of related...

Old-style website, very informative and to the point. https://www.jackgartside.com/art_pheasant_feathers.htm

I know some of the individual Ringneck Pheasant feathers, but I had no idea how many uses there were for such a skin.

My particular one will last me a wee while. :D

-M.