Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Line Recommendation(s)

I broke my 6wt. sink tip line late last fall on a rock. I can't remember what the line was but the fly shop set it up by cutting some of the tip off ~10 or 15 feet.  The line must have been 10 years old so a lot has changed since then.  I really dislike the line memory on the running line portion. I was using it to toss streamers from a boat.   I was thinking Orvis Bank Shot might be a good replacement and will probably give that a try.  I have an AirFlo SteamerMax WF7 with an 18' sink tip on my 8 wt rod and that seems a bit on the heavy side.  I should clip the the tip I think.  How do you decide how much to clip off a sinktip?

I noticed that Orvis has a new to me line: Power Pro Taper in a fancy black box  and is 190 dollars.  Does anyone have experience casting this line?  Is it any better than what's out there to justify the price?

Thanks

Clip 5’ see if you like it, and start to dial it in with smaller clips, the rio big nasty is a pretty good line for medium weight sinking I have found.  I also run that streamer max short but haven’t clipped any of the sink tip portion where a friend has clipped it to a 13’