Fly Fusion Forums

Aquatic Invasive species continue to pose serious threat in Alberta

Ground Zero for Prussian Carp:

A fish farm along an irrigation ditch northeast of Chestermere Lake (east of Calgary)....fish released into the ditch.

Those irrigation ditches eventually end up dumping into the Red Deer river downstream of Drumheller.

After that you have all the criminals moving live fish around in buckets to new waterbodies. The damage level continues to grow and now is being passed on to Saskatchewan. Eventually the carp will probably get to Hudson Bay

• Like 1

The 2 lakes in harvest hills,have thousands.They aerate the lakes.Why can't F&W force them to shut the aerators down.Hopefully there by killing,them.in the winter.They're storm water lakes that eventually sees the .The over flow making it's way into the Bow River.

On 2/26/2021 at 8:28 PM, monger said:

A fish farm along an irrigation ditch northeast of Chestermere Lake (east of Calgary)....fish released into the ditch.

Monger, wouldn't said fish farm be responsible for the clean up if they are in fact guilty of fish the dump?

I don't think the government ever chased down the culprit. A little forensic fish DNA sampling would illuminate things. It has been too long a time and millions of fish later.

A guy I worked with knew the owner of the farm. Fish farm now grows Talapia.

Township Rd 250, Range Rd 274. You can follow the ditches from there. Easy to see how carp got in Weed lake north of Langdon and all the way to the NE to the Red Deer River.

Then you have eco-vandals moving live fish around. People are so un-informed of the devastation that can happen in the long run

On 3/8/2021 at 1:11 PM, SilverDoctor said:

Sweet Tweet. We need to start targeting these ourselves. Plan to see if I can knock a few out this year population this year.

This is a very good point, we've all seen what can happen to a small creek when fish are taken from said creek.... it takes years to recover.  We could set up groups that hit water bodies with the sole intention of bonking.... I'm sure we all can revert to our less couth days.

A few well intentioned, proficient anglers could really whack away at these fish....

Silver Doctor, where do you want us to start?

Man I have early childhood memories of stacking steelhead into garbage bags on the vedder, perhaps I can relive that, haha.

Although I detest hot spotting Trout with a passion, I think it would be great to do this with these fish. I would be willing to Google map spots with populations especially in moving waters. We also need to figure out what they like in nymphs specially in no bait areas. I intend to fertilize my garden this spring.

• Like 1