Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Fly Fishing Guide Podcast - The Godfather of Modern Fly-Fishing Books, Nick Lyons

Orvis

This week, it was my great pleasure to interview Nick Lyons, who I consider to be the godfather of modern fly-fishing books. Nick has edited and published books by some of our most famous fly anglers--Lee and Joan Wulff, Lefty Kreh, Dave Whitlock, and Swisher and Richards. He was also my first editor and I have so much to thank him for. Nick tells stories of the early days of fly-fishing books--his successes and failures and his journey through the past half-century of fly fishing.

In the Fly Box this week, we have some great questions, including: When fishing an in-line dropper, I have problems with the dropper slipping off my upper hook. How can I fix this? I want to fish flies for sauger along the bottom. What type of fly should I use? My hunter friend has offered me some duck and goose feathers. What feathers should I ask him to keep? Any tips on catching stocked trout in a pond? What line would you recommend for trolling from a float tube? Why is trout fishing more productive in Montana than in North Carolina? Do you think those big "American-type" articulated streamers will work in Finland? What kind of stream fish can I catch with a fly rod in northern Alabama? A tip on finding trout at the mouth of cold-water feeder streams in summer. Are "planted" and "stocked" trout streams the same thing? And do stocked trout ever reproduce naturally? Can I attach backing to a welded loop with just a clinch knot?

View the full article