Fly Fusion Forums

Adjustable hang marker on type 5/6/7 lines

RussC

Can't help with moveable markers - I actually use fixed markers at 10, 15, 20 & 25 feet on my Type 5 and Type 7 full sink lines.  A single orange at 10 ft; single white at 15 ft; two orange at 20 ft; two white at 25 ft.  This YouTube video shows how to whip finish onto the line.  I make the markers with two layers of thread, 1/2 to 3/4 in long and covered them with UV epoxy.  

Fixed hang markers

I would then use one of my guides in conjunction with one of the markers as a reference point.  Since the markers were 5 ft apart, there is always 1 marker somewhere in the guides of my 9 ft rod.  The fixed markers really helped improved the consistency of casting the full sinking lines for trolling as well since I could always cast with the same amount of line out the end of the rod.

Ken

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have used,with great success,they are found in the gear fishing area.They are called bobber stops.They come in pks of 10-20 for about 2.00.Phil Rowley intro.them to me.He might have a demo,on installing on your line.Very easy..   https://thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&kw=%2FFALCON-TACKLE%2FFALCON-RUBBER-BOBBER-STOPS%2F&se=20459

• 4 months later...
On 4/10/2022 at 10:16 AM, BrianR said:

I have used,with great success,they are found in the gear fishing area.They are called bobber stops.They come in pks of 10-20 for about 2.00.Phil Rowley intro.them to me.He might have a demo,on installing on your line.Very easy..   https://thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&kw=%2FFALCON-TACKLE%2FFALCON-RUBBER-BOBBER-STOPS%2F&se=20459

Not sure you are talking about the same thing Brian. I fished with Phil for a week in Manitoba. He did indeed show us the trick with the bobber stops. But that was a hack to quickly reset a quick release bobber when fishing with his indicators. Set the bobber stop at the indictator depth, and voila, you know exactly where to put your indicator after landing a fish.

Whereas hang markers are actual colored markers on the actual fly line itself. There's no way those rubber bobber stops would fit over a fly line. Haggis57 method is the way to go. There really isn't a need for moveable ones, if you mark up an entire fly line. Or...you actually could try the dacron bobber stops i.e. a tube knot. It will slide, but they do fall apart. 

19 hours ago, Smitty said:

Not sure you are talking about the same thing Brian. I fished with Phil for a week in Manitoba. He did indeed show us the trick with the bobber stops. But that was a hack to quickly reset a quick release bobber when fishing with his indicators. Set the bobber stop at the indictator depth, and voila, you know exactly where to put your indicator after landing a fish.

Whereas hang markers are actual colored markers on the actual fly line itself. There's no way those rubber bobber stops would fit over a fly line. Haggis57 method is the way to go. There really isn't a need for moveable ones, if you mark up an entire fly line. Or...you actually could try the dacron bobber stops i.e. a tube knot. It will slide, but they do fall apart. 

Smitty ; I too learnt it from Phil.Where he slides the bobber stop,directly onto the fly line...

• 2 weeks later...