Fly Fusion Forums

Bow R. Rock Berms--Negative Effects on River Access and Angler Safety

Recently, I've spent some time going back to some spots on the Bow that I haven't been to for over 8-10 years.   Unfortunately, I've found that many of them are now much more difficult to access because of gigantic piles of very large,  sometimes sharp and jagged, rocks and boulders used as flood control berms that extend down to river.  Some of these are not only within city limits but also are several kilometers below city limits.  I guess the City of Calgary has authorized these, but what about those far downstream of the city?

I'm not the most agile person around,  and getting down some spots without breaking something requires a lot of caution and sometimes even planting my wading staff in a secure rock crevice and sliding over trouble spots on my rear end. Was wondering if anything could be done to have existing and future "rock pile berms" retrofitted or constructed such that at least one area would allow easier access to the river ----such as a wide wooden plank with a rope to hang on to, or some stair-steps, or a narrow gravel trail, or something similar?   Am not sure who else I could contact that might be interested in trying to improve these issues----River Users Alliance, or other organizations? Any suggestions?

• Like 3

I too struggle with Father Time and the challenges he presents us along the river...... most of the places these are placed are faster and deeper water and are really not wade-able although they do present some good catching opportunities because of the structure they create..... winter time and ice make them that much more of a challenge to fish off of ..... I wear ice cleats on my boots and all times in the winter and mostly avoid them at this time of year as for me its mostly about getting out for fresh air and a walk and any trout in the wintertime are a bonus in my eyes......

bowbonehead, -----  Thanks for your comments.  I agree with most of them, but have resorted to some of the rock pile areas since many of the usual places on the Bow have become much more crowded this year because of  Covid conditions.

Actually, many  of these areas are wadeable,  especially during the low water level periods since mid-September of this year. 

One example of a possible stairway design could be a simplified version of a stairway shown in the link below --- a secure, flood-resistant stairway constructed alongside a drift boat slide-ramp on a steep river canyon in Oregon

https://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=217569

I have a love hate relationship with rip rap, it's ugly, it's dangerous, it destroys any opportunity for an undercut bank, but come stampede season those rocks are crawling.  I find myself not wade fishing rip rap locations, even though some areas were my favorite to fish prior to the deposits, I'm a young man in my mid forties and some of those rocks concern me when navigating them.

• Like 2

I am becoming more concerned about the rip rap, each year. Like Jayhad mentioned, some great stonefly action occurs along these stretches, especially in the NW. It is just that, as I get older, each rare fall I take seems to hurt a little more. I am seriously worried I will inevitably break something besides  reel or rod (already done that) some day. Rocks that look stable can roll out from under your feet when you step on them. Rip rap can be a serious menace, a dilemna with no apparent solution, given just how much of it there really is lining the banks of the river.

• Like 1

Well... My neighbor below police had the whole bank rip rapped. Had allot of good years prior on that bank.16 to be exact.

Is it dangerous to walk on ? You bet ! 
Do I walk on the rip rap ? Nope !
If you had a choice of doing nothing and having your property eroded away with run off , floods etc.. Or would you take the government funding, rip rap it and protect what is yours ?
As much as I truly hate that rock bank in a selfish sort of way I respect the decision to protect it and property.

Yes I understand this is private property and most other rip rap banks through the city are not.