Fly Fusion Forums

Cracked Epoxy / Frayed Thread on Ferrule

fishpro

Just purchased a second hand rod (lightly used), and when I received it I noticed that there were exposed and frayed threads on the ferrule (about three strands).  I don't know if it was the defect or the result of an impact, but when I contacted the previous owner he said he never noticed it, and wasn't sure if he ever hit the blank with a fly.  Fortunately there is warranty available (Sage), but with return shipping and all it ends up being about $100.  Would you keep and use it as is, or would you warranty it to avoid the problem getting worse, threads getting wet and weakening, etc?

Personally, I think I would keep it and use it till the threads were bad enough to require sending it in for warranty.  A light coating of nail polish/head cement or uv resin would prolong the life of the thread.  Don’t know if that would affect the warranty though.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, murray said:

Personally, I think I would keep it and use it till the threads were bad enough to require sending it in for warranty.  A light coating of nail polish/head cement or uv resin would prolong the life of the thread.  Don’t know if that would affect the warranty though.

Definitely considering that option of just using it as is, just hoping that the chipped epoxy wasn't caused by something that also caused damage to the blank.  I emailed Sage today, they were quite vague but said that too much modification "could" void the warranty.