Fly Fusion Forums

First generation w250 Cummins

My old truck is in need of a new steering box and am considering doing the work myself. Will need to rent a few tools that I don’t have but I do have most of the tools required.  Have been researching steering boxes and watching how to videos. Been under my truck several times and have a good idea of what is needed and how to do it but it has also been my experience that there are often unforeseen problems that show up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Haven't done one in a dodge but I have in a Chev. Should go fairly smooth since you don't have to tear down half the truck to get at it. Best piece of advice I can give you is take lots of pictures as you disassemble so you can remember how to reassemble. If you went with redhead or similar you'll have good instructions. Keeping a pen and paper helps too in case you encounter things you want future tired, dirty, frustrated you to remember later. With Youtube videos it helps if you get stuck. Keep a pan underneath because it is messy. Take some time after the job go full lock on both sides a bunch of times, make sure you work all the air out of the system and check your PSF levels. Making sure there's no air in it will save you from an issue later. Hope this helps, it's not as bad as I'm making it sound. Couple cold ones and you can handle it.

• Like 1