Fly Fusion Forums

BOW RIVER NORTHWEST CALGARY

I know this post will not interest everyone. I live in NW Calgary a short drive to the river. I have a pontoon boat (since last year) and have floated Stoney trail to Shouldice a few times last fall and had some success. I have not floated this section yet this year. I am determined to give the NW section a chance since it is so close. I sometimes wonder though if I should just drive the extra 20 minutes and fish the southern part of the city. This part of the river seems dead - no aquatic plants, no bugs. When I do a water sampling using my bug net there is most of the time literally nothing in there. The contrast with the southern bow is quite remarkable. What are the fish eating up here???

I've drifted the NW section a lot. I think you'll find lots of small rainbows if you fish nymphs or hopper dropper.  Look closer there are many stone fly shucks through out that drift currently on river left. 

I often reflect on the vast numbers of fry and small fish through out that drift. 

There are quality fish there you just have to crack the code

• Like 1

Fish up in the NW are in specific spots, especially the bigger ones. This year, there have been tons of little guys from 4 to 8 inches, which bodes well for the future. Any small mayfly nymph pattern will catch these fish. The big ones have been absent all summer in the heat, but some should show up in the fall. It is a tough stretch, but putting in time will reap rewards. Just have less expectation. especially in terms of size, than further south.

• Like 1

I've had great success over the years in the NW since 2014, but the construction projects (Stoney Bridge, Shag drain, Shaganappi pump-station) and low water has really changed the fishing. Also, rafts galore seem to be keeping the fish down. 

I remember having many multiple fish mornings just upstream from Edworthy a few years back, but nothing like that for a while. Besides, there's orange fencing blocking the trails down to the river now, in the name of 'ecosystem refurbishing' but I've never seen anyone working on the North side of the river....sigh.

Probably a way that the City made a deal to create the new Shaganappi Pump-station. 

-M.