Fly Fusion Forums

VIBRAM SOLES

Finally got my MRI on my knee from a crash on the rocks as I was wearing vibram or whatever Patagonia calls theirs.

Get results next week.

They suck on the bow but are better on streams that rocks are clean.

Ive said it before ... can they not add some kind of grit into the rubber to add traction, as sole wears down new grit is exposed. A course silica .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, snuffy said:

Aluminium makes a big difference.

This but the jury is still out on the Rock Treads I've installed on my new Simms boots https://rocktreads.com/  I''ve got a sole comfort issue that needs sorting.

I've been using Vibram  soled wading boots since 2012 and until now the best solution to traction issues I've found has been Kold Kutter ice cleats https://koldkutter.com/products/kold-kutter-ama-legal-8

• Like 2

Vibrant alone on slippery boulder and cobble freestoner streams is a HAZARD for anyone not wanting a fall. Forget about having secure footing. Had Simms vibram and exchanged them for felt, and suggested to the fly shop I purchased them at that they warn folks that they are not the same as felt on slick rocks! No questions asked when said I wanted to exchange them for felt boots after a days use.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Taco said:

This but the jury is still out on the Rock Treads I've installed on my new Simms boots https://rocktreads.com/  I''ve got a sole comfort issue that needs sorting.

I've been using Vibram  soled wading boots since 2012 and until now the best solution to traction issues I've found has been Kold Kutter ice cleats https://koldkutter.com/products/kold-kutter-ama-legal-8

I've been trying to get Kold Kutters but can only find them in the states and by the time you pay shipping, duty etc. they get expensive. Have you found a place to buy them in Canada??

• Like 1

I got them through Amazon.ca  but I don't believe I paid what they are quoting now when I checked . Maybe I did but I do know I said piss on it after the third time I went down in a dirtyassed wet pile. I turn 70 in a couple weeks and don't bounce worth a damn anymore. 

• Like 3

I use the Kold Kutters, but I ordered them on a trip to the States a few years ago so they cost a lot less. They work, but I find that they don't last too long in my boot - they usually fall out long before they wear down. That said, they give excellent traction on slippery Bow rocks.

I have Simms boots with both felt and Vibram w/hard bite studs. They have different applications in my opinion. I had to recently use the vibram  sole without cleats, as the Simms Hardbite cleats are not available in my area and are on order through my local shop. I was extra careful and they performed fine on the day when I used the brand new boots. I believe Simms studs in general are way too expensive, especially here in Canada and they do not hold up quite like I wish they would. If the Philips head slot gets damaged they are a bit ornery to remove. 

I searched the interweb and found those Koldkutters that EOTR mentioned above. They sound like a good local deal. I also found a company in Quebec named iGrip which makes studs and their site looks very useful. Prices and shipping in $CAD is helpful and why not buy Canadian?

I am also curious about a brand named Korkers, whom I am going to try for a pair of winter boots this year. They are apparently available at Mark’s. If anyone has experience with this brand I would like to hear your thoughts. 

Has anyone tried the Goat Head wading sole spikes to enhance grip on their Vibrams?

Thought I also read that Orvis is coming out with a Michelin tire tread sole Wading boot that is more plyable  (similar to winter tires for added traction)

On 9/7/2020 at 9:40 AM, FishnChips said:

I have Simms boots with both felt and Vibram w/hard bite studs. They have different applications in my opinion. I had to recently use the vibram  sole without cleats, as the Simms Hardbite cleats are not available in my area and are on order through my local shop. I was extra careful and they performed fine on the day when I used the brand new boots. I believe Simms studs in general are way too expensive, especially here in Canada and they do not hold up quite like I wish they would. If the Philips head slot gets damaged they are a bit ornery to remove. 

I searched the interweb and found those Koldkutters that EOTR mentioned above. They sound like a good local deal. I also found a company in Quebec named iGrip which makes studs and their site looks very useful. Prices and shipping in $CAD is helpful and why not buy Canadian?

I am also curious about a brand named Korkers, whom I am going to try for a pair of winter boots this year. They are apparently available at Mark’s. If anyone has experience with this brand I would like to hear your thoughts. 

I run korkers. Had a pair a little over a year now. I fish a lot. Especially during this COVID. At least 5 times a week. I also use the interchangeable soles fairly often. That all being said they stood up really well for a long time . Three or four months ago the rubber in the sole “locks” has become very uhhhh playable and I have lost a few pair of soles. Just on the right foot. One being the sweet aluminum bar kind that I was really sad about and one felt. Check your feet after stepping in mud to make sure they are still there. Also the glue around the toes on both feet are now peeling off and my right boot again. Is basically more sho goo than boot. Other small stuff would be I have had to do an overhaul on the boa laces which is whatever 15$ and takes 7 minutes. Hope this helps you decide

I remember reading an article where the writer was fly fishing in the USA, Montana I believe. He was at the local fly shop and asked them if the had any studs/ cleats for his boots. The shop keeper pulled out a jar of motocross tire studs for ridin on ice. The writer stated that they were quite effective. Has any one tried this?

i agree that vibram soles alone are inadequate for the Bow. I just use standard 3/8 inch screws on the bottom of my simms freestone boots. I replace them when they wear out. Problem nearly solved. I say that because Bow river substrate can be really slippery and tricky to navigate, and I have had my fair share of falls, even with good boots.

9 hours ago, TheBrownWhisperer said:

I remember reading an article where the writer was fly fishing in the USA, Montana I believe. He was at the local fly shop and asked them if the had any studs/ cleats for his boots. The shop keeper pulled out a jar of motocross tire studs for ridin on ice. The writer stated that they were quite effective. Has any one tried this?

Yes the kold kutters