Fly Fusion Forums

Cant make up my mind.. 9' 5wt Recon 2, or Hardy Shadow Sintrix? Any input from some owners?

I would suggest that you try casting them both at a fly shop and see which one "feels right" for you. Choosing the right rod is about matching your natural "casting tempo" to the corresponding rod flex. Some folks have a faster casting  pace and most often prefer "faster" rod actions. Others have a slower casting pace and prefer a full flex type rod. By casting rods with different flex, you will find the perfect match for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/18/2020 at 9:27 PM, toolman said:

I would suggest that you try casting them both at a fly shop and see which one "feels right" for you. Choosing the right rod is about matching your natural "casting tempo" to the corresponding rod flex. Some folks have a faster casting  pace and most often prefer "faster" rod actions. Others have a slower casting pace and prefer a full flex type rod. By casting rods with different flex, you will find the perfect match for you.

^^ Critical advice.

That said, BIG fan of my Orvis Recon

I have a gen 1 Recon and love it.

However, it's a pain in the rear end sending a broken rod to Orvis, in Vermont, for fixing. This is the 3rd time i'll be sending it, $50 CDN to ship and $60 USD to "Handle & fix". They guarantee 4-6 weeks return time, however it'll probably take canada post that long to get it to Vermont. 

On the bright side, I just talked to orvis and with their new generations of rods (Ie. clearwater, recon, helios), they'll just send you a new section of the rod after you give them a credit card #. If you don't break rods like me though, you have nothing to worry about lol

I have the 9' 5 weight Recon, let me know if you want to buy mine when it comes back from the shop. It'll be in new condition