Fly Fusion Forums

crowds on the eastern slopes.

Was out last week for a few nights of camping and fishing and was shocked at the number of RV's parked all over the place. Never seen that many campers in the 30 odd years fishing the eastern slopes. But oddly the same basic number of anglers fishing this river (not overly crowded). When i got home and did a little research and found this.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-rv-sales-are-up-by-42-says-industry-group-1.1269835

This will make things difficult for all of us that camp and fish the eastern slopes.

Just  my two bits worth.

Ray

Add to the fact that there is one idiot that has started a "Random Camping (Crown land) Facebook Group"... Just what everyone needs more rednecks disrespecting the outdoors (yes I'm making a huge judgment with that statement)!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

absolutely concur.  Nothing like having to spend a half hour picking up small pieces of toilet paper before setting up camp. . Why don't people simply throw the stuff in the fire or garbage.  Last year had a very bad experience with an idiot with a drone and would not turn his music down. In his mind his campsite was his property and could do what ever he wanted with no respect for the other people in the area.  Left a day early and called the RCMP. The RCMP got back to me and mentioned they showed up at the worst time for the idiot, he was hazing cattle. Didn't go well for him.

ray.

Sorry to hear it lads. 

Honest to GOD this was a huge fear for me once I realized the COVD thing was here for whatever duration.  What I can't figure is where do people get the $$$ to buy much more than groceries, mortgage/rent, utilities fuel etc. I lost a very good job, my company truck, and had to buy a jalopy to have for around Airdrie as a second vehicle. I'm not wanting sympathy because many of us got the same deal out of COVID, but the last thing I need to do is borrow a bunch of $$$ without a steady or no income, and CERB/EI does not get it.

Better money managers than myself, I guess.

Sorry I realized I went on a rant.  

Walk the extra 20 minutes and hopefully find some trout and peace of mind.  I hope the streams co-operate soon and the bugs.

For me the eastern slope streams have always just been the occasional mid-week day trip runs, especially during summer holidays/camping season. Some really good dry fly action to be had in September and even into October if the weather co-operates and then you can avoid the crowds!

• Like 2

It's not just the east slopes that are busy, went to Dogpound in the lower reaches where I have had very little in the way of crowding, and every access point had one or even two vehicles. Covid has allowed many people the time to hit the waters and they are doing so. Will be a summer that the fish will get hammered.

Took a drive to scout out water conditions and maybe throw a line, line stayed dry. From Longview west and north at least a couple, sometimes 5 vehicles at every pull out. Picnic/day use areas had the parking lots full with sometimes double the number of vehicles parked on the access roads or highway, seriously. Cat Creek had over 50 vehicles scattered around.  The water was high and off colour anyway, so didn't take the gear out.  

Went over the Pass and all the ponds were packed as well, people about 20 metres apart along the shorelines of Wedge Pond, Mt. Lorett Ponds, Sibbald Meadow Pond and Grotto Mountain Pond.

Lots of canoes, kayaks, hikers, etc.  Was anybody in Calgary on Sunday?

Anyway, I'm healthy, so is my family and I have a job, things could be worse. But I really do need to catch a trout on a mountain stream with only the rustling of leaves in the background soon.

• Like 1

Dave Park told me that fishing license sales are up 30% this year, outdoor gear retail and RV sales are up significantly. 

Dad and I headed down to the Crownest Pass this Thursday; hopefully we can find some relative peace and quiet and some water to ourselves. Not hopeful for the "regular" stretches of water; I'm hearing its an absolute gong show in the Oldman watershed. 

Bow is flowing 225 cubes/sec in Calgary right now, up from 180 yesterday, and 234 cubes in Cochrane. Will be high even by the weekend. I am going to hit some water down south away from the foothills. Hopefully it won't be crazy busy.

18 hours ago, Smitty said:

Dave Park told me that fishing license sales are up 30% this year, outdoor gear retail and RV sales are up significantly. 

I work part time at a marine power sports dealer and our boat sales are the best since inception of the corporation, May was the best month even though closed for 65% of the month.  Typically a 6 digit boat purchase takes hours of sales time and often a trip on the water, this year I've taken several phone calls where folks have bought said vessels sight unseen via credit card.

I was disappointed earlier this year that most of my time was being spent on drifter hull patch and a jet boat build, with the constant deluge we are experiencing I'm happy with being in one of the boat houses this summer.

It's gong to be like this all season. No one is able to travel, many are unemployed, everyone needs a break. If you want solitude, you are going to have to work for it and even then you might not get it. I'm resigned to the fact I'm going to have to probably do some significant hiking, which normally wouldn't be a big problem, but this year might push me a bit physically. Honesty, I'm glad people are utilizing the outdoors. 

• Like 1

I agree Rick, it's going to be a tough go on rivers. Change your expectations a bit. Expect to do more hike-ins, or fish a few favorite spots by being really early. Lakes are still pretty decent and if you know what to do on them you can really get into fish, even in spots others leave alone :)  I can't count how many times I was alone and doing well on fish at a certain southern lake this spring when there was 30-40 boats on it in other spots.

• Like 1