Fly Fusion Forums

"Normal high water mark"

On 6/16/2020 at 4:32 PM, TightLinesJ said:

I found this, which basically regurgitates what bcubed has posted.....

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/sites/www.nrcan.gc.ca/files/earthsciences/pdf/Water-bounds-monograph-English-web.pdf

It's always good to be confident in dealing with these interactions, thanks bcubed

Tight lines, thank you for the link to this monograph. It is well written and historically interesting even though the subject matter is not very exciting. 

• 4 weeks later...

Me and another guy built a lot of fence along the Dogpound while working for Fish and Wildlife in the mid-80's. We also built a lot of log walls to stabilize the eroding banks. The fences were to keep the cows off  the banks and direct them to certain watering areas. The landowner still owns the land from the fence to the water's edge, unless there has been some legal agreement established by the government. Government funds just paid for the fence for habitat protection, the fence does not necessarily mean you can walk streamside without permission. It would be wise to speak to the landowner before stepping out of the water....which you know you will be doing

19 hours ago, monger said:

Me and another guy built a lot of fence along the Dogpound while working for Fish and Wildlife in the mid-80's. We also built a lot of log walls to stabilize the eroding banks. The fences were to keep the cows off  the banks and direct them to certain watering areas. The landowner still owns the land from the fence to the water's edge, unless there has been some legal agreement established by the government. Government funds just paid for the fence for habitat protection, the fence does not necessarily mean you can walk streamside without permission. It would be wise to speak to the landowner before stepping out of the water....which you know you will be doing

Thanks Monger, as you know I've been walking in your DP footprints and I thank you for the work you guys did so long ago. Your work is directly responsible for the enjoyment we experience on that creek.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 7:06 PM, monger said:

Thanks for clarifying that; appreciate it. I have walked along these trails - outside the fence, but clearly, clearly above the high water mark, and I knew for sure this land still belonged to the farmer / landowner. I did make the assumption it was ok to walk along those trails, but you are absolutely correct, I should make the effort to ask and contact the landowner more often (I'm usually pretty good). Naturally, assumptions are dangerous... :)