Fly Fusion Forums

My Thoughts of Drift Boat Fishing & Guiding 2020

As I sit here on May 17, 2020 I am feeling uncertain of how best to proceed with Recreational Drift Boat Fishing and Guiding for this COVID Season.

I have retired from Guiding (2012) with the exception of Very Interesting Clients or well referred Good Joes.

As I read it and try to get a sense of Government Direction, No Non Family Trips should be contemplated as 6' Distance is impossible to achieve in a Drift/Jet Boat.

I had a Handful of Interesting trips booked for this Summer, Music Business Folk, All of which I have turned down, as the Covid situation has dictated no close contact etc etc.

Told them to hold tight for info or just take a pass for 2020.

How to move forward..

How to observe others behaviour..

How do the few Guides who actually try to run a good business move forward..

I have been hopeful that some type of discussion on Public Forums or media would have started about this issue.

Curious as to what the Community in Calgary has to say about this. If I am going to sit it out, as per Direction from Government.

I will be very disappointed to see a bunch of over busy Boat Launches..

Pretty much all of my clients have cancelled (all from the U S)... They said they will all book with me next year (I have given refunds, a few wanted credits for next year)...

I know most (in both the Mountain Guiding stream and fishing guides) are in the same boat (no pun intended). AEP and Parks Canada haven't even approved my permits... That's after I've paid for my Kananaskis Business License and liability insurance... I'm already in the hole and doubt I'll bring in any revenue...

Tax loss this year, I guess...

I believe that technically it is possible to maintain the 2M social distancing in the longer drift boats. I have just measured the distance from the middle of the rower's seat to the middle of the front seat on my 15' skiff at 1.70M. But under a days fishing it would be impossible to maintain the current social distancing guidelines. It appears that some relaxation to the mandatory 2M distancing guidelines is taking place. That is "wear a mask if the 2M distance cannot be maintained". With the use of buffs commonplace in the fishing community this may be an option. We all want to get out and enjoy our fishing with friends, but maybe this is the year for a solitary pursuit. 

Beyond the fishing the question of shuttle service operations needs clarification by the GOA. It is difficult to believe that social distancing guidelines can be maintained.

51 minutes ago, fishteck said:

I believe that technically it is possible to maintain the 2M social distancing in the longer drift boats. I have just measured the distance from the middle of the rower's seat to the middle of the front seat on my 15' skiff at 1.70M.

For teams of 2, sure. but guy on the back seat is definitely within a couple feet.

Good point on shuttle drivers

I think that mature adults are quite capable of making their own choices on whether to fish, float or guide on the Bow this season. Seems pretty ironic that the rules for physical distancing are not equally applied in our society.  But obviously, guides are an easy, favorite target of many in the flyfishing community so this thread should attract the usual mob of haters.

• Like 1

I feel for the Pro guides, not so much for the “privateers”  who only do 5 or so trips a season. Also feel for the shops and their staff. Hopefully there is some form of financial support going to help guides and shops. This pandemic will undoubtedly change things and I hope most make out OK in moving fwd as this situation evolves. Hang in there folks, you are a valuable element of our sport.

I do not see this being an issue given that the border is still closed and likely will stay that way for at least a few more months ....... likely to be a quieter river this summer ..... hope to see more boats with only one occupant for the meantime or at least family units ......