Fly Fusion Forums

Vintage like me - post em if you have em.

SilverDoctor

Over the years I have collected or been handed down vintage fly fishing items. Have a modest collection of reels and other items that I will post if people are interested.

Here is a Hardy St John these early reels where hand made and often had the makers initials stamped inside. Some of these where tagged with the companies name. This one according to the data base was made by James Smith for James Niel and Son's in Nova Scotia.

5YqRJu7.jpg

CIwneHW.jpg

• Like 3

I love the old stuff. Keep adding if you will please. The only old reel i have is a very early 70's Intrepid Rimfly Regular. I use it sometimes on a 7ft6" Cabelas CGR fiberglass rod. Its not exactly a popular collectable item but its close to mint condition with very few scratches. It gets lotsa comments as its a very noisy clicker. Have no clue how to put a picture of it here. 

• Like 1

fly boxes and holders have changed through the years. Here is Grandpas  Fly wallet, these leather pouches where incredibly versatile with a big variety parchment of compartments for leader and fly storage. In the middle is a couple of pages of absorbent drying sheets for wet flies. Both outside pages have flapped pockets also.

64lVQLl.jpgkks6aUe.jpgkks6aUe.jpg

VMkg0bd.jpg

knyn9Pf.jpg

kks6aUe.jpg

• Like 2

Here's a nice old Hardy St. George - 3" / ribbed brass foot / honest patina

IMG_2670.jpg.2c02f59e464f5a849175f04d700722d2.jpg

and a 3-3/8" Young that was badged for WILSON & LENFESTY, Victoria B.C.

This one had a cracked winding plate and missing winding knob.  It took a little TLC to get it back on the water.

IMG_2672.jpg.0a37ce9a36b8da3c9098f2e771e05beb.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/16/2020 at 2:07 PM, SilverDoctor said:

fly boxes and holders have changed through the years. Here is Grandpas  Fly wallet, these leather pouches where incredibly versatile with a big variety parchment of compartments for leader and fly storage. In the middle is a couple of pages of absorbent drying sheets for wet flies. Both outside pages have flapped pockets also.

64lVQLl.jpgkks6aUe.jpg

VMkg0bd.jpg

knyn9Pf.jpg

Just gorgeous, Lornce. Is the wicking fabric silk or linen? 'Parchment' meant a lot in said old days....

It's so incredible to see a museum piece in possession. Is the leather salvageable? It would be a shame to lose such an amazing piece. 

Well done, and thank you!!

-M. 

The leather is in great shape really flexible, the strap needs a bit of work but not bad. I am looking into a good quality conditioner. The wicking/drying areas are felt, see below. Took a pix of the inside leader and accessory pockets also.

AFjl5fZ.jpg

tAjljME.jpg

TT8CzTx.jpg