Fly Fusion Forums

St. Patrick's Island "boat launch"

Hi all,

I decided to go take a look at the boat launch at St. Patrick's Island (next to the zoo) since it is supposedly open for use by trailered boats. I thought it might be nice to drift through downtown some time in the near future. Here's what I found.

My first thought upon arrival was, "what launch?" I checked the CRUA website again to make sure I wasn't losing my mind - they have photos of a drift boat taking out at the little pool by a footbridge (pictured below). I have to say, I would think twice about trying to use it. There is no real roadway/ramp at all - just a little gravel leading down to a sidewalk from the parking lot that requires a very sharp turn around a bollard. Backing a trailer around that is asking for trouble - you might have to drive in frontward and attempt to turn around on the little gravel patch at the basin. There's also no signage, and I'd be worried about being ticketed or something for driving on a sidewalk.

I'd probably call the Parks department before trying to use it, see if you're actually allowed to take a vehicle down there. It's pretty sketchy. 

IMG_20200505_113115622.jpg

IMG_20200505_112950744.jpg

IMG_20200505_113047670.jpg

My thoughts exactly about this launch site. I checked it out last week and left thinking I must be missing something. There is no signage suggesting it is a boat launch or pull out. I also checked out Harvey Passage and water level was low. If rowing-- better have very short oars because parts are very narrow!!

2 hours ago, trailhead said:

Not much of a drift before you get to Harvie Passage

It seemed clear on the CRUA/BRT pages that it's meant to be a takeout point before you get to the weir/passage, so trailered boats can float down from Bowmont or Shouldice.

13 hours ago, threepwood said:

It seemed clear on the CRUA/BRT pages that it's meant to be a takeout point before you get to the weir/passage, so trailered boats can float down from Bowmont or Shouldice.

theres a considerable amount of water from bowmount to the zoo and that would be a long day. I've had good days from shouldice to Glenmore that have taken 16 hours, but there's Not much of a drift before you get to Harvie Passage so probably better to stay below glenmore

It is certainly interesting to see the comments here!! Classical fly fishing community - bitch about everything and not appreciate what has been done to allow the city reach of the Bow River to be fished from a drift boat. A few facts:

St. Patrick's Island is not a part of Calgary Parks Department. It is operated by Calgary Municipal Land  Corporation  who spent $$20,000 to make it possible for drift boat access. Be thankful- without this access the upper city reach of the Bow River would not be accessible to drift boats.

The upper and lower concrete "roadway" are approved for vehicle use. Access is better from the top, down across the gravel based driveway in a wide approach and straighten up on the bottom roadway and you will be able to back straight into the lagoon. Avoiding the light bollard is a challenge, but will test your driving skills.

There are proposals for improvements this year. Some will most likely be volunteer based. Others will more likely need a financial commitment from river users. Keep in touch with this post to assist with improvements.

Parking is payer use. Park in the north-west area of the parking lot -pay for 2 stalls (truck and trailer) and you won't get a ticket.

And finally keep a positive viewpoint on the boat ramp. We were fortunate to get access last year. I know of a dozen drift boat users from last year who used the ramp on a regular basis. Both as a take out and put-in to run through Harvie Passage. To run through Harvie Passage Low Water Channel the Western Irrigation Districts water diversion gates need to be closed. That was completed last week. And will be closed until mid October or later if the weather holds up.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, fishteck said:

Be thankful- without this access the upper city reach of the Bow River would not be accessible to drift boats.

Fishteck, that is just not true.  I have taken out at the zoo once and done the drift far more times than that,

It is the only take out prior to the passage though.

I think the criticism of the poor boat launch design is valid and reasonable since it's paid for by the tax payer. To suggest we should not complain and act like a bunch of ignorant peasants, is invalid. The city needs to engage all users to get it right or expect the obvious criticism that will ensue if they dont. The fishing community has been asking the city for improved boat access for many decades. 

• Like 1

Jayhad- I am not sure where you have been putting in or taking out, but both West Baker Park was closed to the public until this year and Shouldice was closed to trailers boat access until last year. Yes you could drop a boat in anywhere if you wished to carry it to the river bank. But now there are three designated trailers boat access sites above Harvie Passage.

Toolman - the City of Calgary has invested  $2 million in the River Access Strategy in the past two years with both West Baker Park boat access upgrades and the new boat ramp at Ogden Bridge this year. The GOA has spent in the region of $ 1 million for the new boat ramp at Harvie Passage, although the access to it is currently problematic. A new road to Mckinnon Flats is planned for this year at a cost of $2 million. Policeman's Flats has be upgraded over the past two years at a cost of $50,000 and an additional $25,000 of government (ACA) funds in 2020. I believe governments and their agencies have done their share.

• Thanks 1

Vitalshok - it is listed on the CRUA website. The road access off Ogden Bridge is just south of the bridge before you go under Calf Rope Bridge. Supplies for the boat ramp and road construction are being stockpiled. Construction will start after runoff with completion in the fall

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fishteck said:

Jayhad- I am not sure where you have been putting in or taking out, but both West Baker Park was closed to the public until this year and Shouldice was closed to trailers boat access until last year. Yes you could drop a boat in anywhere if you wished to carry it to the river bank. But now there are three designated trailers boat access sites above Harvie Passage.

Hmmm closed you say, I wonder what will be different from the last 10 years of launching at those locations now that they are "open"

Jayhad:

In 2006 the City of Calgary at the request of the Calgary Fire Department closed all previously public accessable boat ramps above Grave Bridge to " Emergency Access Only". Following the 2013 flood the CFD added the Shouldice Park and Quarry Park  boat ramps to their exclusive emergency service boat ramps. Grave Bridge was left open because the CFD would get stuck on the new gravel bar after the 2013 flood. It became the only city ownerd public boat ramp. Nevertheless, many guides had access keys to the emergency access keys to Cushing Bridge and other river access sites in the city as part of an agreement between the old guide association and the city. In addition, for a long time the CFD and CPD did not always lock the gates to boat ramps but by 2016 things changed with the City of Calgary development of the River Access Strategy whereby new public access ramps were approved by City Council. West Baker Park upgrades were the first with a new CFD boat ramp added to the site and the old ramp was upgraded to what we see now. A new ramp at Inglewood and Ogden Bride was also in the mix. Inglewood access is problematic, hence the reason for CRUA approaching CMLS for access at St. Patrick's Island. Ogden Bridge river access site is being built this yeaR.

So what I am getting at Jathad, if you have been able to access any of the emergancy access only boat ramps with a trailered boat in the last 10 years, you were probably doing so because the access gate was not locked, you had keys or accessed at some casual river access location of your own. Any of these options could get you a ticket.

• Like 1

In 2014 someone put new signage around the shouldice launch indicating where to launch and how, I assumed it was the city because it looks just like a city sign and is professionally done. I have launched at both locations while SRD and CPS members have watched, talked to me and wished us well.  I haven't done this one or two times a year, its dozens of times. Multiple times have been with members of this forum and with owners of local shops , never have I been questioned.

I'm not arguing just stating what I have experienced.

Guess I've been very lucky 

• Like 1