Fly Fusion Forums

What are your thoughts on a Nile Creek Kick Boat?

Hi,

I'm looking for a light frameless water vessel and want to see some of your opinions on what to get. I like to wade in rivers and wanted a personal inflatable to access more water in the bow and southern Alberta rivers. I was looking at a watermaster as it suited my low key fishing style, but found a similar Canadian boat from BC, called the Nile Creek Kick Boat (7 feet, 8ft, and a 9ft). There's not much info on the boat online, but asking the shop guy it sounds very similar to a WM. The guy told me their shop was the first to distribute WM in Canada and later branched off to make their own. The Nile Creek is made from hypalon while the WM is PVC, the boat without oars and seat is 20lbs, plus the NC is $1200 CAD. What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.nilecreekflyshop.com/nilecreek_8095.html

I’ve had zero experience with the Nile creek kick boat and can’t comment on their quality.   However I do know a little bit about Hypalon material.  You know all those big, round antennae’s mounted on the tops of communication towers?  That white covering you see is Made out of a Hypalon material.  I know because I used to install them, did so for over 40 years.  There are not many environments that are tougher on hardware than you see at the tops of those towers.  I’m not saying the tarps wouldn’t fail, we would get up to 10 years out of them but it was never the Hypalon material that failed.  It was the sewed seams of the pie shaped sections that would give out.

now, translate that into a boat floating down the river, brushing up against rocks and sharp tree branches.  I know which one I would choose.

Edited by murray
Correct spelling errors
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 6:30 PM, murray said:

I’ve had zero experience with the Nile creek kick boat and can’t comment on their quality.   However I do know a little bit about Hypalon material.  You know all those big, round antennae’s mounted on the tops of communication towers?  That white covering you see is Made out of a Hypalon material.  I know because I used to install them, did so for over 40 years.  There are not many environments that are tougher on hardware than you see at the tops of those towers.  I’m not saying the tarps wouldn’t fail, we would get up to 10 years out of them but it was never the Hypalon material that failed.  It was the sewed seams of the pie shaped sections that would give out.

now, translate that into a boat floating down the river, brushing up against rocks and sharp tree branches.  I know which one I would choose.

Thanks. 

I'm gonna look more closely at these boats. At $1200 CAD, it doesn't seem like a bad buy. 

Anyone else have any thoughts on these boats? What about an 8' vs a 9 footer? Which one should I get? 

I have a couple watermaster kodiaks, one of which I actually purchased at Nile Creek. I love them for flowing water (they’re slooooow in stillwater) but if/when they eventually wear out I’ll be replacing it with a Nile Creek boat. It’s a no brainer for the price difference.  

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I spent months researching frameless inflatable boat.;mornCoffee:  I lost interest in the NileCreek, Scadden and Watermaster the moment bcubed brought up the new 2021 Outcast Clearwater:whoot:. Outcast's new oarlock tower system is like no other I've seen. I do like that Clearwater has rockers. To those thinking of ordering themselves a set of oarlocks & towers for a DIY project, I'd say...Outcast is on to us.:crybaby: They know they've got something good here. Can't blame them. 
Here's the prompt & courteous response I got when I asked if I could order a pair of of oarlocks & metal towers. I figure, there's no harm in asking.

''We don’t actually sell those.  We do have pieces/parts in our repair center that are reserved for warranty repair/replacement issues if you have warranty issues.''

On 2/16/2021 at 9:07 AM, bcubed said:

Ha ya i tried to see if they'd sell them as well to retrofit my Scadden.. no luck

Hey Bcubed, I haven't looked at the "towers" in real life but in looking at the pictures from outcast, those towers would be a very easy build for a fabricator, use a base of .500 UHMW..... now finding a fabricator in AB that will build anything not industry based is tough. 

14 hours ago, bcubed said:

Ya it’s more the attachment to the boat that is the hard part 

could you get the same material and just use an appropriate adhesive?  I don't know myself as I have little experience with rafts.   Possibly the costs involved makes this a moot point.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps one day, someone will post a side by side comparison video on the maneuverability of the Nile Creek, Watermaster Kodiak, Scadden Assault and the Outcast Clearwater on the Bow. IBFS are now saying that they ''might'' be getting some Outcast Cleawater in July. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I finally upgraded my ancient tube for an Outcast Stealth Pro, frameless pontoon a couple of weeks ago. So far I have only used it on still waters. I love it.

- it fits in it's bag (not included but a good accessory buy) with room to spare

- it fits in the back of my car easily (weighs 35 lbs)

- inflates easily in about 5-6 minutes with the foot pump (aftermarket accessory)

- one is seated well above and out of the water. Fins or no fins, the boat is moved easily with the built in oars. I also use a Scotty anchor lock and a 10 pound pyramid anchor.

- plenty of storage in the kit bag (included) which mounts to the boat, off either the left or the right shoulder. Lots of space behind the driver too.

I bought it from The Fishin' Hole in Calgary. The service was perfect, a young man there, name starts with an "A", owns one and can answer questions and provide suggestions based on his own ownership experience. I could not be happier with this new piece of kit.

• 2 years later...